Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While shooting my P3-AT today I had a serious problem crop up. This is only the second time at the range since the gun came back from the factory for another issue (assembly pin backing out). On the third shot the small recoil spring popped out of the front of the slide. I was able to reassemble it at the range and fire two more shots and then boom, same problem again.

It only does this when firing live ammo. I can hand cycle the slide and all appears just fine. Upon close examination of the pistol it appears the spring guide rod hole on the slide is too large. The larger recoil spring will stay in the gun but I can push the small recoil spring through the hole in the slide no problem.

I am very disappointed with the numerous failures and stoppages. I would have though that a trip back to the factory would leave me with a reliable gun, apparently not. >:(

Has anyone ever heard of this problem before. I did some searching and I understand that the first gen design was a little different and had some similar problems where the entire spring and guide rod would depart the pistol.

BTW this is a second gen gun with the HSJ serial number.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
With out a doubt the gun need to go back again. I've never heard of anyone else with this problem.

What was the original problem you had?

Call KT and ask them to have your gun picked up so they can foot the bill for shipping, explain that the gun was already sent back once.

·
Banned
4,317 Posts
The only home grown fix I can think of for your problem would be if you could find a small washer with an inside diameter just a few thousands of an inch larger than your recoil spring guide rod and an outside diameter smaller than the recoil spring hole in the front of the slide. It would have to be smaller because the guide rod must be free to pivot up and down without binding as the pistol goes in and out of battery. I doubt material would matter much, though I'd prefer steel. You might have to drill, or file out the inside hole and file the outside edge to fit.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Someone else had this happen farily recently. The only thing I can think is a machining error. It might be hard to notice, and upon test firing, which they do after reparis, it may not have happened. I'm curious why it never happened before. Did they change your slide?

If it must go back, do as advised and call them. Explain that you just got it back and ask them to have it picked up by a carrier.

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
It would have to be either machining error or wear.  Either in the guide rod or the slide hole.  Hardness and finish quaility could contribute to accelerated wear

I checked mine which has less than 500 rounds through it. (HHSxx)
the rod diameter is 0.133"
the slide hole is 0.138" (i checked up and down and side to side, looking for wear)
thus 0.005" clearance.

the spring wire is 0.020, therefore it should not start to go through

Did you tapper the end of your guide or put a champper (with a drill bit ) in the slide, possibly to help reassemble?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Did they change your slide?
According to the repair order from last time they changed the barrel, grip and polished the feed ramp for sure. I think the slide was changed out also.

Did you tapper the end of your guide or put a champper (with a drill bit ) in the slide, possibly to help reassemble?
Nope, only thing I did was test fire about 100 rounds and clean it.

I took some pictures of the problem for your amusment. I guess I'll call KT on Monday.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Hmm... that's not very amusing to you, is it? Too bad it's not a 1st gen gun. They would just send you a replacemnt detachable recoil spring catch. Aside from getting lost, it did have its advantages.

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
Looks like they counter-bored the hole too deep from the back side and opened it up.

That's the second one reported in the last couple of weeks.

I'd have to chalk it up to another KT machining blunder!

rcmodel

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
It's hard to get good help these days. Don't that have any illegal aliens in Florida. ;D

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
  What you want to ask for is a CALL TAG. Box it up and have it ready to hand to the ups man, who will drop it into a large addressed envelope. He will be coming directly to your door or office, whichever address you give them. KT will have it the next morning.

UNLESS: You have had it for more than six months. After that time period you will have to pitch a b*tch to get a call tag.

Packer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
What you want to ask for is a CALL TAG. Box it up and have it ready to hand to the ups man, who will drop it into a large addressed envelope. He will be coming directly to your door or office, whichever address you give them. KT will have it the next morning.

UNLESS: You have had it for more than six months. After that time period you will have to pitch a b*tch to get a call tag.
I fully intend to get KT to pay for the shipping this time. Last time I packed it up and paid for shipping myself, not again. I just checked my receipt, I bought it 3-6-06 but KT "fixed" it 8-9-06.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Since you just got it back, they shouldn't give you much trouble.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Two Pistol Packer said:
How embarrassing! I didn’t know about the six month rule, and Kel-Tec didn’t tell me. So I had them email me a UPS label for a two year old FG P-3AT, that wasn’t fixed on the first outing (assembly pin messed up the frame hole).

Wilson – who’s sorry he bent the rules :-[

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Talked to KT today, I'm just going to ship them the slide. They said that they would reimburse me the shipping and send a new slide my way. Guess I'll pack it up tomorrow and see what happens.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
You'll get a quicker turn around time that way. KT is very good at shipping out parts in a timely manner.

Let us know how it goes with the new slide.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Oh no! I have the same problem!From New Kel-tec owner :(

I've got my P3AT brand new from CCR refinishing which I told them to do a fluff&buff and duracote it.

I've eventually got it from CCR and just had a chance to try it out.

Fire about 10 rounds, then in the middle of 2nd mag. Same problem, the small spring sticks out. I take it apart and put it back, try it again. It does it again in the 3rd rounds.

Called Kel-tec, she said she never heard about this problem before and said she's sending out a new recoil spring and rod.

Got it couple days later, try it again. Still same problem.

Call kel-tec today, she said I will have to send it the slide assembly. But should wait until after holidays..

I'll wait and see.

The bad thing is, maybe Kel-tec will swap out the slide. But I've spend about $50 on Fluff & Buff and Duracote which I can't recover. Don't feel right to ask CCR, but maybe Kel-tec will absorb it somehow, will call them again tomorrow.

Have you get any updates? Stewie_Griffin?

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Did it not do this before it was refinished. One lesson here that has been mentioned before... Make sure your gun runs perfectly before doing any refinishing or customizing. Kel-tec is only responsible for getting the gun back to it's original working condition. If they have to replace the slide, and I'm assuming they will, you start from square 1. :(

G

·
I have stressed that numerous times tx. and I don't mean shooting it 50 rounds flawlessly and thinking it is ok to get some custom work done on it. I highly recommend at minimum 200 perfect flawless rounds before even thinking about doing any custom work, for once done and it is not the refinishers fault one bit, but if it is bad, all kt will do is replace with a factory slide and that is understandable. sometimes we tend to rush things and it ends up biting one in the ass or somewhere close. I am talking from the voice of experience here, as I have been there done that, and lost big-time because I didn't prove the weapon was reliable before sending it off for custom work.. ::)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.