Maintenance Question for the Pros

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by foundatown, Feb 15, 2010.

1. foundatown

foundatown New Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Hi guys,

Maybe those of you who have more experience with this gun than I do could give me some feedback on two things. I was doing cleaning/lubing/inspection/maintenance of my gun today and I noticed two issues. I wanted to know if they're 'normal'.

(1) I was replacing the guide rod and guide rod springs and I noticed the new springs I received from Kel-Tec are slightly longer than the original ones, by maybe 3-4 millimeters. Normal?

(2) My hammer has been slightly off center since I bought the gun, but now my trigger's a little off center, too. The hammer is leaning to the left, and the trigger is leaning to the left. Hammer just slightly, trigger by 2 millimeters, maybe, and the very bottom of it. I know the tolerances of this gun are very tiny so any deviation will appear severe, so is this no big deal? The gun functions flawlessly, though the hammer does appear to have made slight contact with the slide causing a little wear. That I don't like.

Thanks for your feedback.

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    as for question 1)
    4/25.4 = 0.16"

the free length is not as important as the number of coils and the wire diameter (solid length).  here is a post where I have some spring dimensions comparing factory to wolff.
    the free lenght of a band new spring will be longer than one that has been used.  the shorting of the free length is the measurement of the spring getting weaker with use.  the life of the spring depends on how close to the maximun strength of the matereial it is made.  the spring for the P3AT is made near the maximun strenght of the material.