Mailing gun parts

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by KS.G36, Feb 27, 2008.

1. KS.G36

KS.G36 Guest

I was under the impression that gun parts like a complete slide, or a barrel could not be mailed. A Kel-Tec staffer told me the U.S. Mail is the main way people return parts to KT. After having spent 2 days playing hide and seek with the operator of the local wrap and ship store, NOW I FIND OUT!!  :eek:  

2. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    With regard to a KT pistol. You can mail every part EXCEPT the aluminum frame with the serial number on it. In fact you can mail all the other parts together as long as that frame is not there.

I don't know how other brands that put the serial number in more than one place deal with what part is the firearm because having the serial number on it seems to be a part of the definition.

-Scott

3. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    actually, any part that is not a frame can be shipped usps.

only the frame needs to go otherwise, if you are NOT returning to the mothership for repair.

4. KS.G36

KS.G36 Guest

I guess I was always misinformed .. oh well.. ::)

5. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    well, the last barrel I ordered from Lone Wolf came in a padded mailer, USPS

the last slide I ordered came USPS

even the 10/22 bull barrel came USPS

6. alamo

alamo New Member

Sep 12, 2004
    On a related note, some folks have the impression that when they ship their pistol to the factory for service, they must ship it thru an FFL.  This is not correct.  You can ship your pistol directly to the manufacturer by private carrier (not USPS) and the factory can return it directly to you.

An FFL though, can ship a pistol by USPS and this could save money if the dealer/gunshop where you bought it is willing to do this for you. In most cases,  you'd want to box it up for them, pay the postage and have it ready to ship so they don't have that hassle.

7. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    And HERE is another post discussing using UPS to return pistol to manufactor

8. keninaz

keninaz New Member

Feb 21, 2008
    I have always used UPS and always send them insured, and Kel-Tec does not recommend shipping uninsured of course.