Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Magtech "Guardian Gold" 95gr +P JHP

Shot a magazine through water filled milk jugs and another one through a bucket of motor oil.

This is what I recovered. They were all pretty much the same. Shot from a P3AT.

For reference, I shot this 357sig Speer GD through the same medium.

I also shot this 22lr stinger

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Hi,

Your results with Guardian Gold pretty much mirror the result that I got with this ammo, the bullets behave jut like FMJ rounds with zero expansion. You might want to reconsider shooting into motor oil, it is flammable ( a stray spark etc could ignite it), and it's toxic too. :-?

Best Regards: :)

·
Registered
898 Posts
You'd think that a .380 HP claimed to be "+P" would get at least a little expansion. Be nice to have also shot through a crono in order to get the fps. Maybe just to short a barrel for the "Guardian Gold" to perform as intended?

Bill K.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I got bad results with the Magtech 'First Defense' SCHP as well. Out of the short-barrel pistols, it apparently doesn't get the velocity it needs to expand well in either water jugs or wet phone books. I also noted that in the phone book test, the sharp lip on the nose of this round has a cookie-cutter effect which punches a circle out that plugs the hollow point possibly inhibiting expansion. I also noted some pretty radical differences in penetration from round-to-round.

I will add that they do expand better in my wife's Bersa but I don't plan to be keeping these as carry ammo.

Fired from Ruger LCP into wet phone books.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts