Magtech "Guardian Gold" 95gr +P JHP

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by jbabbler, Oct 20, 2010.

1. jbabbler

jbabbler New Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Magtech "Guardian Gold" 95gr +P JHP

Shot a magazine through water filled milk jugs and another one through a bucket of motor oil.

This is what I recovered. They were all pretty much the same. Shot from a P3AT.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

For reference, I shot this 357sig Speer GD through the same medium.

[​IMG]

I also shot this 22lr stinger
    [​IMG]

2. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Hi,

Your results with Guardian Gold pretty much mirror the result that I got with this ammo, the bullets behave jut like FMJ rounds with zero expansion. You might want to reconsider shooting into motor oil, it is flammable ( a stray spark etc could ignite it), and it's toxic too. :-?

Best Regards: :)

3. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    You'd think that a .380 HP claimed to be "+P" would get at least a little expansion. Be nice to have also shot through a crono in order to get the fps. Maybe just to short a barrel for the "Guardian Gold" to perform as intended?

Bill K.

4. oldgranpa

oldgranpa New Member

Sep 23, 2004
    I got the same results with the MagTech 77gr JHP copper bullet with a Sig P232 pistol....(was supposed to be low cost alternate to DPX)

http://usrange.org/smf/index.php?topic=316.0

So I don't think the barrel length will matter. I just don't use any MagTech stuff.

og

you can see all wetpack tests at the WWW thing, bottom of page.

5. KelTex78

KelTex78 New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    I got bad results with the Magtech 'First Defense' SCHP as well. Out of the short-barrel pistols, it apparently doesn't get the velocity it needs to expand well in either water jugs or wet phone books. I also noted that in the phone book test, the sharp lip on the nose of this round has a cookie-cutter effect which punches a circle out that plugs the hollow point possibly inhibiting expansion. I also noted some pretty radical differences in penetration from round-to-round.

I will add that they do expand better in my wife's Bersa but I don't plan to be keeping these as carry ammo.

[​IMG]
    Fired from Ruger LCP into wet phone books.