Magtech Gaurdian Gold +P 380 Advisory

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by TxCajun, Mar 24, 2009.

1. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I got this PM from fellow KTOGer and LCP guru/moderator Kraigster with a cautionalry tail on this ammo.  My reply follows.

Hey Rich -

I can't recall any k-boom issues with that ammo although I have heard of several issues relating to QC with Magtech in general.  For instance, IIRC, someone chronoed some once and got inconsistent readings ( fairly wide variances).  I think I may have seen a magtech round that was undercharged or not charged and resulted in a sqibb too.  Of course that can happen with just about any ammo but generally speaking, I don't think it's great stuff.

I would assume that the KB was likely ammo related.  Over the years, we have seen a couple in P3ATs.  The design is pretty sturdy and they are not likely to blow up for no good reason.  I assume that the gun channeled the energy mostly away from the shooter and hope that no one was injured as a result.  In the couple of P3ATs I've seen, the blown gun perfromed/failed as designed with the over-pressured round - that is no one was really hurt.  That's got to be scary as hell for the shooter.  I'm sure that regardless of the cause, Ruger will replace the gun.  I will pass the word of warning on the ammo.

Thanks -
    dale

Magtech Guardian Gold +P 380 - We report - you decide.  :-?

2. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I've had inconstant performance from Magtech FMJ ammo. It is so bad none of the rounds were accurate. Now I do admit that as a hand loader, I really like their primers. I use them for all my hand loads
    and have never had an issue with them. Every round has touched off just as it should. I will not be purchasing any of their SD ammo though. I like my P3AT and LCP too much to blow them up.

3. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    A few more and hopefully Ruger will go back to the ugly, clunky autos they are so well known for...

4. artimus_prime

artimus_prime New Member

Nov 18, 2007
    Central FL
    Oh great. :-/ That's my carry ammo. Got it cheap and bulk. I fire off usually one mag of the stuff every range session. No squibs, light strikes, or pressure variations that I have noticed as of yet.

5. KelTex78

KelTex78 New Member

Jan 10, 2009
  6. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    Photos posted then removed (over there). Until I see pics of the barrel, I am going to blame the LCP, not Magtech ammo. Thousands of rounds downrange with Magtech and the P-3AT, and at least two boxes of Guardian Gold - no problems, and never an account anywhere of a burst barrel with Magtech GG in a P-3AT that I have read of.

Doesn't sound like Ruger is going to repair/replace it under warranty, does it? No such thing as "+P" in .380ACP according to SAAMI, the folks who decide such things. Ammo manufactured in foreign countries is verboten too? LMFAO. Way to stand behind a product! They should stamp "USA made ammo only" on the frame if it isn't fully .380ACP compliant. What a joke.

kraigster414 has been subtly condescending toward Kel-Tecs for years, and I distrust him and his motives. Now his LCP problem is a Kel-Tec problem? How very thoughtful! I think a poor copy is still a poor copy, and too bad for all the suckers who bought a pistol for the turkey on the grip.

Sounds like an Other Guns problem to me.

7. toddmog

toddmog New Member

Jul 8, 2007
    I don't know about the Guardian Gold, but I shoot blue box Magtech almost exclusively out of my P3AT. IIRC, the gunsmiths for Bersa recommend it for the Thunder .380's as well.

8. mr_camera_man

mr_camera_man New Member

Mar 27, 2009
    I wasn't even aware that they offered primers. I know it's a long shot, but have you seen anyplace that has them in stock? Midway is out with no backorder...