Magtech First Defense report (with pics)

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by KelTex78, Mar 3, 2009.

1. KelTex78

KelTex78 New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    This is for all the Milk-Jug Zombie haters out there!  ;)

This is a Magtech First Defense round I recovered by firing into jugs of water. It is a 77 GR SCHP fired at close range. The round penetrated 3 one-gallon jugs denting the back of the third jug. That equals 18" of penetration in water; half that would equal 9" of penetration in gelatin. It had opened up to .5" at the widest point. This round was fired third from the magazine so it would have been deformed by the 'smiley', which would explain why two of the petals didn't open exactly as the others.

[​IMG]

This is the round behind it in the magazine showing the 'smiley' deformation on the nose:

[​IMG]

Based on the data on stoppingpower.net, and assuming the 2:1 water/gelatin penetration ratio is (semi)accurate, this round has slightly better penetration but doesn't open as much as the Corbon DPX. That might be a good compromise given the already limited penetration of the .380 in a hollow point. After I empty some more jugs, I would like to repeat the test with a couple of layers of denim over the jugs.

Hope eveyone likes the pics!

2. ctlover

ctlover New Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Re: Magtech First Defense report

Great pictures. They really show what the round did and how it opened. Good job, I'm impressed with the photography.

3. jbabbler

jbabbler New Member

Dec 27, 2008
    My P3at wouldn't be my first choice if I was going out looking for a fight but that looks impressive in a "If I ever need it" situation. Very nice. I am carrying the Remington Golden Sabers in mine now but wondered about the Magtechs. They were a little pricier IIRC. How much were they and for what quantity?

4. nmshooter

nmshooter New Member

Jan 25, 2008
    Good report. thanks for that. that is a cool pic of the hollow point doing its job.

5. KelTex78

KelTex78 New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    @ jbabbler: The Magtechs were $18.99 for 20 rounds from Cabelas. I ordered them last week because they were the only .380 hollow points I could find anywhere. Cabelas is already out though. I've just checked and as of this evening, they are listed as being backordered with a 3-4 week lead time.