MagTech Ammo

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by gvaldeg1, Feb 8, 2008.

1. gvaldeg1

gvaldeg1 New Member

Feb 8, 2008
  2. zeke

zeke New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    I shot one box thru my first P3AT. This was when I was having problems with some FTE, so I was trying different brands of ammo. It worked the best for me of all the brands I tried. I would have bought more but it was the only box Gander mountain had and none of the other gun stores around here had any.

Brands I tried while having FTE problems, I ended up needing a new slide to fix the problem.
    Ranked best to worst
    1 Magtech
    2 American Eagle (federal)
    3 Remington UMC
    4 Independence
    5 Win White box

3. THE_HUNTER

THE_HUNTER New Member

Feb 19, 2006
    I bought a bunch of it at Gander Mountain years ago when it was on sale for $8!Shoots awesome in my P3AT and also my Colt Government .380 :cool:

Oh,I tried alot of UMC in my pistols but I found it shot not accurately at all really.I like the Magtech though!

4. spence13e

spence13e New Member

May 11, 2006
    Kansas
    one of the first series of 100 rounds thru mine was magtech. liked it a lot, was still a bit pricey (so says i anyway). did have problems, but it turned out to be a broke extractor so it was not ammo related. gets my nod of approval.

5. xjetjock

xjetjock New Member

Dec 9, 2007
    :) Surfing I ran onto this site
    http://www.magsafeonline.com/magnum_performance.html
    which had this to say- pretty impressive (but from a Co ad - so is it true?)
    Anyone know if there are other test of this ammo?
    xjetjock (long ago and far away)

"MAGSAFE SWEPT THE STRASBOURG TESTS
    The now -famous Strasbourg Tests put MagSafe on the map. To Summarize what nearly everyone already knows, over 600 live French Alpine goats (their bodies are very much like humans) were shot under controlled conditions: no anesthetic, same shot placement form animal to animal, and with blood pressure and heart rate monitors to determine the Incapacitation Time (measure of how long it took a goat to cease functioning after the single shot was delivered).

MagSafe Ammo worked - better than anything else. Tests were done without MagSafe's knowledge, so some versions tested were the lowest powered. For example, two types of .380 ACP are offered; the .380 Defender, a 60-grainer at 1,360 fps in a Colt Mustang; and the .380 MAX (designed for a big city's undercover drug agents) with a 52-grain slug sizzling along at 1,620 fps in the Mustang.

The Defender has 247 ft-lbs of energy, while the MAX load has 303 ft-lbs. The Defender's lower velocity hampered stopping power, resulting in a Average Incapacitation Time (AIT) of 7.12 seconds. That's the average time for five different goats, each shot once with the MagSafe 60-grain Defender.

However - and this is where things get interesting - there wasn't a jacketed hollowpoint bullet in ANY caliber which dropped the goats faster than MagSafe's weakest .380 load!

MagSafe's .380 beat every .45 ACP slug, every 10mm, every 9mm (including police-only ammo), every .40 caliber - no matter who made it - Cor-Bon, Remington, Glaser and HydraShok.
    In fact, MagSafe's lowest-powered .380 ACP load had an AIT faster than the best manstopper of all time - Remington's .357 Magnum 125-grain JHP!

6. evi1joe

evi1joe New Member

Sep 22, 2007
    I think that magsafe ammo is not supposed to be used in P3ATs...I think it made some explode.

As for magtech ammo--I occasionally buy a box and haven't had any problems, though it seems weak--it kicks MUCH LESS than American Eagle.

7. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana
    MAGTECH [ch8800] MAGSAFE

Read and understand :)

xjetjock's post was about MagSafe ammunition, which is one of the pre-fragmented, low weight, high velocity rounds, much like Glaser Safety Slugs.

Magtech ammunition is regular ammunition [ch8212] FMJ, JHP, etc., the kinds we all know and love.

8. gvaldeg1

gvaldeg1 New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    Thanks...apparently he missed the distinction. ;D

9. Nakanokalronin

Nakanokalronin Member

Apr 7, 2007
    The Magtech I use is the ball ammo and is 100% reliable in my P3AT. It does however spit little metal pieces in the air and leaves them in the gun. I get the same thing when I shoot it in my Bersa .380 but other than that its pretty good and has not caused any problems in either gun.

10. msrdiver1

msrdiver1 New Member

Jan 20, 2008
    I found a great deal on Magtech a few months back and bought in bulk :D. Just how much :-X My P3AT coughs and gags on Magtech. Luckily my Bersa sucks and spits Magtech all day. The P3AT FTE the very first round. I tried mixing brands in the magazine and it ALWAYS misfeeds. I need to wiggle the slide to chamber the round. BANG and then reliably it FTE again.

I'd like to try the Magtech all copper First Defense as it is cheaper than Corbon DPX. But I'm worried after my previous Magtech experience. I suggest Remington or Sellior & Bellot for hurt'n paper.

11. zeke

zeke New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    I thought the same thing when I saw them, Posted on here if anyone had tried them. Check out this link for the discussion.

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1199074172

Must be a reason you don't hear much about them vs the DPX.