Magtech 77gr all copper hollow point

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Hoopster, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Hoopster

Hoopster New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Just got a box of 20 and I'm not sure I would recommend this round for the P3at. The bullet is long and half the time a round will not eject when hand cycling. I know after a shot the case should eject no problem but if you have a no fire or other malfunction and need to rack the slide, a full round will likely jam.
    I'll update this thread once I actually test fire a few. Please add your experience if anyone's tried these copper Magtechs.

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    I have no experaince with pistol caliber, but in rifle caliber I avoid solid bullets (copper or brass) in older guns since it seems it would be more stress on the barrel as it is forced into the rifling.

Now, granted a KT doesn't have deep rifling, but the barrel is VERY thin, so I would have second thoughts about solids in a P3AT

BTW, this is just an opinion :-/

3. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    This is quite common in any number of handguns, with any number of factory loads.

It is also quite the case with the P3AT and any number of factory loads. The bullet hits the front of the ejection port, and unless you really crank the slide back, it often will not eject.

The 1911 for instance, often won't eject a 230 grain GI hardball load unless you really get testy when yanking the slide back.

Often, with less enthusiastic slide movement, the round will just dribble out the mag well, where you can catch it in your hand.

It is very doubtful the Magtc ammo is loaded any longer then most factory FMJ-RN, or it wouldn't fit in the magazine.

As for copper bullets causing excess pressure?
    No, they are all loaded to SAAMI pressure spec, and will not harm the gun.
    Even the highly recommended Corbon DPX load is a solid copper HP.

The real question is, has Magtec perfected thier copper bullet to expand at P3AT velocity like Corbon has?
    Only some wet-pack tests will tell you.

rc

4. Hoopster

Hoopster New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    The Magtech is 0.050" longer than the American Eagle FMJ. I don't doubt that other factory loads exhibit the same tendency to catch on the front of the feed ramp or ejection port but it is nice that the AE's don't.
    I'll post results of the milk jug, plywood, phone book test once I get a chance to shoot again. Unfortunately I don't have any DPX to compare it to.

5. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    Magtech did poorly in wet-pack expansion tests - see .380 ammo tests in the sticky at the top of the P-3AT forum.

Bobo

6. Hoopster

Hoopster New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Well, it's official, The Magtech 77gr copper hollow point is not something I would recommend for the P3at. Some may recall I shot an American Eagle 95gr FMJ into a test stack and it penetrated one milk jug, 3/8" plywood and half of a phone book.
    The Magtech penetrated the water filled jug, the plywood and about a quarter of the phone book. The main problem being it didn't expand at all. I fired two shots and one looked like it was starting to open up but just barely. I'm sure they're still deadly but for the price and penetration I'd take any FMJ over this round. It did cycle okay at the range which is probably where I'll use the rest of them. I was hoping they'd be a cheaper alternative to the Corbon DPX but it appears not.
    I'll test one or two Double Tap gold dots next :)

7. Hoopster

Hoopster New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Shot the P3at at the range the other day and everything fed flawlessly except this magtech ammo. All would FTE. Glad it's gone now .
    The next basement test I run will be with the double tap gold dots and the Rem. Golden Sabers. Can't wait!

8. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Say the AE'S sound impressive but how thick was that phonebook?

Tom j.

9. Hoopster

Hoopster New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    Say the AE'S sound impressive but hiw thick was that phonebook?

Tom j.[/quote]
    Typical yellow pages for a Metro area of about 1 million people. Roughly 1.75" thick.

10. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Thanks, I was just wondering cuz where I live ours isn't even an inch. And any idea how these might compare to the Buffalo Boar 100 grain flat nose? these seem pretty impressive, might be a cheap alternative to the BB's in a pinch.

Tom j.

11. Hoopster

Hoopster New Member

Jan 10, 2009
    I'm not sure why but the AE FMJ's seem to be considered one of the better penetrators in .380. I guess it's because of the rounded nose as opposed to the flat nose. I originally bought them because of the price, then found out they penetrate well. The rounded nose also aids in feeding well, never had a problem with them. The Buffalo Bore 100 grain flat nose may be more powerful and effective but I would imagine the recoil would be harsher and I'm not sure about using lead -vs- fmj through the P3AT. I do know the AE is a lot cheaper than the BB flat nose.
    If you want to mail a BB 100gr to me I'd be glad to test it in the same stack for comparison purposes. :)

12. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007
    I was actually thinking about buying some I sent Gator a bunch of ammo before for some testing he did awhile back so if I do get some I'll send you a pm and arrange to send a few for the test.

Tom j.

13. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    MagTech 77gr SCHP: great idea, poor execution (at least out of a P-3AT).

14. Axeman

Axeman New Member

Oct 13, 2004
    Say the AE'S sound impressive but hiw thick was that phonebook?

Tom j.[/quote]
    Typical yellow pages for a Metro area of about 1 million people.  Roughly 1.75" thick.[/quote]

Ha, you shudda used some phone books from the county where I live, your test round would have been a lot more impressive because the slug would have gone through a half dozen of them and kept on going into the next county.  That's one main reason why I live out here, I can walk out on the front porch anytime I want to and rip off a magazine or cylinder full at a target tacked on the woodshed  and nobody is gonna call the law down on me.  On the other hand, living out here where I can't get a cell on my cell phone is one reason why I keep a few loaded guns stashed around the place. If I get an unwelcome visitor out here who wants to do me and my wife harm I can't call John Law for help if my hard phone line has been cut. If I ever get hold of some factory ammo for my new KelTec it will be in my jeans pocket whenever I'm out working around the place.  Right now I'm still waiting for a shipment of cast lead bullets I ordered to reload some .380 brass I have so I can get started on breaking the little guy in.

Have a good day everybody, I'm off to church and I'm probably late already, but the preacher is used to me being late anyways so it won't matter much if I am again.