Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking on sportsmans guide at ammo and saw that the magsafe ammo says do not use in Kel-Tec P-3AT. Is it just to hot a load for the little gun. Here is what it says *To be used in steel frames only. No alloy frames.
**This item is NOT to be used with Kel-tec P-3AT Pistols.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=55751

So i guess the LCP copy can't either?

·
Banned
4,317 Posts
From: http://www.ak47.net/lite/topic.html?b=5&f=38&t=27717

During last summer I bought a Kel-Tec P3AT and some personal defense "defender" ammo produced by MagSafe. I often practiced with my Kel-Tec at the range using standard Federal American Eagle, but due to the extreme cost, never fired the MagSafe ammo. I carried concealed with MagSafe in the magazine and chamber for 9 months due to their claims for stopping power and safety.

Three weeks ago I was at the range and decided to try the MagSafe. On the first shot, the back of the cartridge peeled apart like a grape. The magazine blew out the bottom of the pistol, the slide bent and blew off the top, the frame split on the left side and every rivet blew out. My hand was blackened like in a bad Roadrunner/Wiley Coyote movie, but not injured. The gun collapsed into a pile of debris.

My gunsmith called MagSafe and was told OH YEAH. WE'VE BLOWN UP TWO OF THOSE PISTOLS WITH OUR AMMO. WE NOW HAVE A STICKER ON THE PACKAGE THAT SAYS DO NOT USE WITH KEL-TEC P3AT. They said their ammo is extremely hot and exceeds SAMI specs (though it's not marked +P or +P+). Then they seemed to get personal about my level of intelligence and ability to read. Note, there was no warning sticker about the P3AT on the package I bought last year.

Kel-Tec was concerned immediately, and indicated that the gun is designed to break down under a KB such as this to protect the shooter by dissipating the force of the explosion. They wanted to examine the parts to learn from this accident. They offered complete replacement of the gun, even though it was clearly the over-juiced ammo at fault.

Thursday the brand new replacement arrived with the same serial number as the destroyed gun, so I don't have a lot of registraion gymnastics to do here in the Peoples' Republik of New York.

Thank you Kel-Tec, for your concern and for the outstanding positive customer relations you demonstrated.

MagSafe will never ride in my guns again, as my opinion is that it is unsafe.

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/wolfgang12/100_1242.jpg
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y92/wolfgang12/100_1239.jpg

·
Registered
437 Posts
I really like MagSafe ammo. I have used it since it was first made, as well as Glaser...I think about the mid 1970's.

I live in Orlando, Florida. There is a wonderful gun store in town...Shoot Straight...that is about 20,000 sq feet of nothing but guns...from the full line of Kel-Tec's to Barret 50's. Many of the sales staff are ex-military. The older ones VN and the younger ones Iraq military/special forces. They really know their "stuff." They have a tactical dept. that has every AR-15, etc. available--including full auto HK's, etc.

The owner of Shoot Straight told me not to use MagSafe in my Kel-Tec 380--which I purchased from his store. I take him at his word. Why, because he knows Kel-Tec weapons (Kel-Tec are his "neighbors") and he just happens to own MagSafe. Needless to say, Glaser are not sold at Shoot Straight.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
MagUnSafe IMO. Nothing like paying nearly $3.00 per round for 3-4" of penetration and a blown up pistol. ::)

I think it is funny how they load above max-spec ammo, then imply that the pistol is the problem. No other brand of .380 ammo seems to have an issue with blowing up Kel-Tecs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I ran a search before I posted this but could not find anything. Anyone know if the LCP can shoot them or not? I know from reading that some of the other design flaws were carried over.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Dan50AE said:
Thanks for sharing your knowledge. I ran a search before I posted this but could not find anything. Anyone know if the LCP can shoot them or not?  I[highlight] know from reading that some of the other design flaws were carried over.
[/highlight]

What design flaws.........Magsafe says    "FOR USE IN STEEL FRAMES ONLY"

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.