Magnatized barrel and recoil guide

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Second_Life, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Second_Life

Second_Life New Member

Jun 22, 2008
    After the range I cleaned my pistol and grouped all the parts in a pile. When I went to pick up the parts to assemble the pistol I found the barrel and recoil guide (rod) sticking together by magnetic attaction, I live in South Florida.

Does anyone know about this and what could cause it?

What problem, if any, could this cause?

Second_Life

2. illogicalmethod

illogicalmethod Well-Known Member

Jun 7, 2005
    One or both were run near a magnet...?

Rubbing a magnet over a piece of metal, in the same direction, will magnetize the piece of metal....(shrugs).

3. RCACFBilly

RCACFBilly New Member

Mar 29, 2008
    S_L,

How close do you live to the nuclear power plant??? ;D

That has nothing to do with your 3AT but it is the first thought that entered my rather empty head and I thought it was funny.

When I have a screwdriver that I do not want magnetized, I get out my soldering gun and run the blade between the electrodes while the gun is on. It demagnetizes them nicely. It could be done with your parts if you put a sufficient length of #12 copper wire in place of the normal tip.

I don't think it is a problem but there is solution if you want it.

Billy

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    >:(

5. PshootR

PshootR Banned

Apr 1, 2005
    If putting magnets on your gas line gives you more M.P.G. then maybe firing bullets through a magnetized barrel will give you more F.P.S. ::)

http://www.popularmechanics.com/automotive/new_cars/1802932.html?page=2

6. doubloon

doubloon New Member

Jan 5, 2008
    Houston-ish, TX
    The only problem I can think of is the possible accumulation of ferrous shavings in places you don't want, like the rocker under the barrel, and causing additional, unnecessary wear.

7. enigma4you

enigma4you New Member

Not to get to picky here but how do you know it was a result of magnatism and not another force such as a static charge or even a thin film of oil?

8. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    The Bermuda Triangle. :D

9. ChasF

ChasF Member

Feb 14, 2009
    I was under the impression that the Kel-Tec barrels were made from an austenitic steel rather than ferritic or martensitic. If it can be magentized, I have misunderstood. Does anyone know the material specification for the barrel?

As far as it affecting the shooting properties, it shouldn't. The bullet, casing, etc. isn't magnetic so there should be no adverse effects. Besides, if you can get it hot enough it should demagentize - although I wouldn't try it from shooting.

10. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/p3at.htm

11. Second_Life

Second_Life New Member

Jun 22, 2008
    Thanks for the serious replies. I'll keep watching for shavings as Doubloon suggests otherwise I guess there shouldn't be any major concern. I was just curious if anyone else noticed the magnetic attraction of the barrel to the recoil rod when apart.