Magazines update

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by oldgranpa, Jul 5, 2011.

1. oldgranpa

oldgranpa New Member

Sep 23, 2004
    What's the latest on magazines for the P3AT?

Best source, price, delivery, etc.?

og

2. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I'm not up on that Gramps, but in case you were unaware, PRO-MAG now also makes P3AT aftermarket mags.  If you order some online somewhere, I'd make sure they were the factory MECGAR MAGS.   ;)

Also, in case you didn't know, Kel-tec now offers a full-gripped 9 rd mag that looks just like the P32 10 rounders.   ;)

3. oldgranpa

oldgranpa New Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Thanks much, TX. I ordered one of the Pro-Mag 6rd magazines, $20+$10shipping. Close to about the same price as a Mec-Gar from online dealers.
    When I get it I'll let you know how it compares.

Don't think I'd care for a 9rd mag as doubt it'd be good for pocket carry. Anybody tried one and how does it do in the pocket??

og

4. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Gramps!  Promag also makes extended mags for the P3AT - a 10 rd version and yes, a 15 rounder.  They are long and stick out the bottom of the gun a lot.  Here's mine with a 10 rd ProMag.

[​IMG]

Obviously, it is only useful as a range mag.  And if you think that looks funny, you should see the 15 rounder.   :eek:

5. musicman0766

musicman0766 New Member

Jul 14, 2011
    Ive got the 9 round mag and I love it. Finally my hand fits on the gun

6. lklawson

lklawson Well-Known Member Supporter

Oct 13, 2009
    Huber Heights, OH
    I have a P32 with a 10 round and +1 on my 7 round. I like the +1 in the pocket better. The 10 round makes it print more. Not much, truthfully, but it just feels wonky to me. So I slap the 10 round in a belt pouch as my spare.

Peace favor your sword,
    Kirk

7. oldgranpa

oldgranpa New Member

Sep 23, 2004
    Cool stuff!!

I still haven't received the magazine from ProMag. Really slow delivery. But I will give a report when I get it.

og

8. oldgranpa

oldgranpa New Member

Sep 23, 2004
    finally got delivery of the ProMag magazine today.

[​IMG]

this is a comparison picture of the ProMag magazine and MecGar magazine for my P3AT. I ordered the ProMag online for about the same cost as a MecGar.

Micrometer measurements show they are very close to the same.

width.... 1.068" MecGar ....... 1.069" ProMag

body..... 0.461" MecGar ....... 0.460" ProMag

ears...... 0.463" MecGar ....... 0.461" ProMag

both OAL.... 3.131"

Doing the pull test in the mags gave about the same extension of the cartridge with both as shown in the picture. You can do this by loading the mag with five rounds (I used S&B FMJ) then hand cycle the pistol twice and remove the mag for examination. This gives an indication of possible smiley during actual firing. It seemed the MecGar made the round tip up very slightly. It's the feed ramp in the slide that rubs the round moving it forward. Since both mags have the hard, black coating, movement seemed to be the same.

I will have to do a firing test later for feeding reliability and possible smileys.

One nice feature of the ProMag are the rounds loaded numbered on the side of the magazine.

og

9. oldgranpa

oldgranpa New Member

Sep 23, 2004
    range test

with my P3AT yesterday morning, the ProMag magazine did fine. No malfunctions. Fired a mag of mixed FMJ, all fed and ejected. Fired a mag of mixed JHP and FMJ, Win, Rem, Speer, S&B, Fed....all fired fine. Only odd thing is I could not load 6 rounds in the mag, spring too strong or something. No real problem for me, I loaded 5, chambered a round, then added 1 to the mag. So 6 rounds in pistol.

The temp was too hot and nearby a guy with rapid fire something really loud. So with only 2 magazines fired I got back in the aircond car and left. Forgot to do a smiley test, who cares? It looks almost the same as a MecGar which doesn't do smileys with my pistol anyway.

The ProMag magazine I got seems to be OK with my pistol, except for holding only 5 rounds.

The only other thing is the shipping cost of $10 seems too high. It came UPS in a box with foam. The mag was in a bubble pack and could have been sent regular mail. I came from the state of CA and maybe that's why the box.

og