Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
p40
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I am new to the forum and this is the first Kel-Tec I've owned so I have a couple of questions. I have a p40 (which I'm sure everyone is aware, you can find very few accessories for). Is it true that the p11 9mm higher capacity mags will hold and feed the .40 cal? Secondly i was looking at the different color grip options and I was wondering if the PF9 grip was interchangeable with the p11/p40 if for nothing else just to have the option of a rail. Thanks

·
Registered
925 Posts
The pf9 grip will not interchange with the p-11/p-40. The mags from the p-11 and 40 are interchangeable.

·
Registered
882 Posts
All of the high cap mags may require Wolf extra power mag springs however I've had good luck with Mecgar 15 round mags for the S&W 59 in my P11. I've not tried them in my P40.

·
Registered
p40
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just found a place that has the .40 cal S&W 4000 series 11 round mags with a Kel-Tec extended grip on them for $27 I think that will be my best bet. Also you said the p11 mags could be used in the p40 but wouldn't that loose capacity I mean say a 11 round 9mm mag isn't going to hold 11 rounds of .40 cal is it? Here is the link to the mags I mentioned if anyone is interested https://www.gunsamerica.com/9672856...esson-Stainless-free-Flat-Blue-Floorplate.htm

·
Registered
882 Posts
I just found a place that has the .40 cal S&W 4000 series 11 round mags with a Kel-Tec extended grip on them for $27 I think that will be my best bet. Also you said the p11 mags could be used in the p40 but wouldn't that loose capacity I mean say a 11 round 9mm mag isn't going to hold 11 rounds of .40 cal is it? Here is the link to the mags I mentioned if anyone is interested https://www.gunsamerica.com/9672856...esson-Stainless-free-Flat-Blue-Floorplate.htm
That would work. Yes 9mm mags with .40 ammo will have a reduced capacity. The mag you are looking at would hold 15 rounds of 9mm. I personally hate the spacer. The center of my finger lands on the crack between the grip and spacer and it pinches me with every shot.

·
Grand Poobah
1,390 Posts
I've had good experiences with that seller (Robertson Trading Post) in the past.

To use those with the P-40, you might need to get some extra power Wolff springs for them. I certainly needed to with all police surplus S&W 5906 mags I've used in my P-11. I haven't used my 4006 mags that much in my P-40s, but strangely enough, the P-40 might be more forgiving of weak springs than the P-11. There are more differences between the S&W 4006 and 5906 magazines than you would expect, especially the springs. I tried some mixing and matching of parts to see if I could get a round or two more into the .40 magazine, but it didn't work. S&W and Wolff know what they are doing. I suspect that S&W traded capacity for reliability in the 4000 series mags, which might be why they seem to be more tolerant of weak springs. I generally use the S&W mags in my SUB-9s (a 9mm and a .40) which cycle slower giving the magazine more time to feed the next round.

There are several versions of the factory P-40 magazine out there. IIRC, the original was just a P-11 magazine. Then came the one with the same feed lip width, legless follower, telescoping spring and cutouts on the front of the feed lips. Then this with a wider feed lip width. The latest version has two holes in the front of the mag body.

The legless follower and telescoping spring is how the 12-round P-11 magazine achieves its capacity while maintaining a flush fit. (ETA: There's more to the legless follower than just whacking off the legs of a P-11 follower. The shape is different, and the inside shape of the follower is designed to work with the smaller top section of the telescoping spring. It was original enough that Mec-Gar was able to patent it.)

buzzsaw-the P-11, a quarter century before the rest caught up.

·
Registered
p40
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I appreciate that info buzzsaw. I ordered a mag from them and I recieved it today so tomorrow when I get off work I'll be going to try it out at the range. It will also be the first time I've even fired my p40 I'm excited.

·
Registered
925 Posts
I appreciate that info buzzsaw. I ordered a mag from them and I recieved it today so tomorrow when I get off work I'll be going to try it out at the range. It will also be the first time I've even fired my p40 I'm excited.
Get the ben gay, ice, and ibuprofen ready

1 - 9 of 9 Posts