Magazine still dropping

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by vgilbertson, Jan 8, 2011.

1. vgilbertson

vgilbertson New Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Good afternoon, I have aquired a used P-3AT. At thsi point I am not very pleased with it. I replaced the magazine clip and did the polishing. I sanded the magazine clip release button down so not to hit it why shooting. The clip is still dropping out when fired. I can't pull the clip out and know I am not hitting the release. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you

2. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    You probably need a new mag catch. Call KT service and ask them to send you a new mag catch and mag catch spring.

3. vgilbertson

vgilbertson New Member

Jan 7, 2011
    It is a new magazine catch and spring

4. goodbrewing

goodbrewing New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    Look at the magazine and find the notch that the mag catch slides into. Is it open or is the piece of metal still there and in the way? That's about all I can think of if it is a good new catch.
    Good luck.

5. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Are you using a hooked mag extension?  Sometimes if your hand fits tightly above those hooked extensions, the recoil/muzzle flip causes those extensions to put a lot of downward pressure on the mag catch and overcome it.  If that is the case, try a mag without an extension and see if the problem persists.  I much prefer the +1 extensions, not only for the extra round but also for the flat front profile that does not put downward pressure on the mag.

Otherwise, assuming you have a good mag catch and spring, properly installed, and your mags are not somehow messed up, that leaves the possiblity of a warped grip.  It is very rare but possible that a warped grip can keep the mags from fitting correctly thereby making the mag catch not lock solidly into place.

6. guru2sum

guru2sum Well-Known Member

Apr 30, 2005
    Mad City, Wisconsin
    I had a magazine floor plate that was warped and didn't allow the latch to fully engaged. It was easy to file off a little plastic once I figured out the problem.

G2S

7. vgilbertson

vgilbertson New Member

Jan 7, 2011
    I decided to make a magazine catch out of aluminum. Seems to work pretty good and the mag is tight. I'll shoot it tomorrow and see what happens.

8. vgilbertson

vgilbertson New Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Shot the gun this morning. No problems with the mag falling out. Thanks for everyones input.

Vern

9. vgilbertson

vgilbertson New Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Good morning

After the fluff and buff, thorough cleaning, I shot again yesterday. The first clip shot fine hoever 2 shot into the 2nd clip ht started jamming again. The spent shell is left partially in the chamber. Have to drop the clip, work the slide and then the shell will eject into the magazine area and drop out the bottom. I have ordered a new ejector and spring so will see how that works.

Vern

10. vgilbertson

vgilbertson New Member

Jan 7, 2011
    I shot again this morning and noticed that the shell rim has a scratch in the brass. Took the extractor out and could see that it has definte wear on one side that the other.

11. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    My first P3AT (J2Rxx) had the same two problems. Metal mag catch bought off someone from this forum fixed the mag drop problem. New extractor with spring and screw from Kel-Tec fixed the extraction problems. My original extractor, if I remember correctly, had a rather dull edge. But hey, I got you beat! This same P3AT also had the guide rod hole peening problem so I don't want to hear any complaining from you. :)

Take care...

12. vgilbertson

vgilbertson New Member

Jan 7, 2011
    BillK

i do not have an extractor screw, mine is a roll pin. I am not really complaining, its a fun gun to shoot, just want to get it realiable before I start carrying it.

13. TxCajun

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Then you have a 1st gen gun. ;)

14. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007

Yes, I understood where you were coming from my comment was just a poor attempt at joking around. Sorry about that. :(

Humm, I've not a clue what a roll pin is... Something else on which I need to educate myself.

Take care...

15. vgilbertson

vgilbertson New Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Is a 1st generation gun bad?

16. goodbrewing

goodbrewing New Member

Oct 2, 2008
    They are just the early production ones. Some people prefer them. A little patience and you should be able to make it reliable.
    If you do ever send it back for repairs and they don't have the parts you may just get a 2nd generation back with your original numbers stamped into it.
    Tinker a little more and see how it shoots for you.

17. vgilbertson

vgilbertson New Member

Jan 7, 2011
    I like messing with it, very simple to work on. I am hoping the new ejector and sping make the difference.

18. risabee

risabee Member

Jun 23, 2007
    FWIW, gentlemen, both my magazines were dropping without extension, with a new catch, and with the button filed down.

I pulled and examined the magazines and decided to redesign the hole in the mag into which the catch thing goes.

Needle nose pliers, pull the lower lip out a little bit, like making it pout.

This results in what might be called a moderately liberal magazine. Don't pull too far as an extremely liberal magazine will drag its lip on the magazine well. Just a little pout will do. This gives the release's lower surface (that does the retaining) a little more to hold onto. It does seem to have worked for my little gun. :-*