Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have information on the magazine spring.
Will leaving the mag loaded for a long period of time compress the spring to the point of replacement.

My duty gun, Sig 229 has had the original spings for 15 years now and is always under compression.
No problems so far.

Just curious if the spring in the P3at magazine is durable enough to leave loaded for long periods between shoots.
Any info appreciated. thanks.

·
Registered
295 Posts
dont have the answer for you but i only keep 5 in my mag because of the same reasoning. 6 seems to have a little to much tension on the mag and probably the release. if 1 in chamber and 5 in the mag wouldnt do the job, then i will probably be dead anyways.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As for keeping only 5 in the mag....any problems with the mag....
and how long have you had it like that.

Anyone keep all 6 in mag.....problems?

Just curious... have only had my p3at 2 wks.

·
Registered
295 Posts
i only had them in for a few months but there is a significant difference in tension from 5 to 6 shells as you probably well know. i keep my mags loaded 24/7 with a spare mag with 5 shells in it. a lot of people on here load it to the max with no problems. i am just going to keep it at 5. i dont want to take a chance on a weakened spring in the late future.

·
Registered
9,377 Posts
My three P3AT mags have been fully loaded since I got the gun in 2005.

I have M-16 mags that have been loaded for 40 years.

I have 1911 mags that have been loaded for 50+ years.

I have Colt Woodsman mags that have been loaded for 70 years.

Staying compressed does not wear out a spring.

Cycling or over-compression is what wears out a spring.

Here is what Larry Seecamp says - See Question #9:
http://www.seecamp.com/faq.htm#Magazine Spring

Folks who unload thier magazines or rotate every week to "let the spring rest" are doing more harm then good.
News-Flash: Springs don't rest!
They wear out from cycling.

Downloading by 1-2 rounds cannot hurt, and is really a good idea in Glock and some other ultra-capacity magazines now being made.
The new-fangled 8-round 1911 mags are another.

Back in the day, folks like John Browning built in enough room for the spring to stay compressed forever without hurting it.

Now, that has been given second shift to a couple more rounds capacity, spring life be damned.

rcmodel

·
Registered
49 Posts
I have all my mags numbered and switch them out about twice a month. 2 mags full while other 2 are empty. back and forth.

I don't know if its needed but I do it with all my carry guns. Just a habbit.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.