Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was having problems with the magazine being ejected while being carried.
The gun is carried in a front pocket behind my wallet. The wallet would press
against the release and out pops the mag. Following the advice here to modify the mag release worked.
First, I used painters tape to cover everything I didn't want to sand.
Next, I used a sanding block and some worn 220 grit. I checked frequently
to make sure the tape was holding up and the release height. The height
was checked by putting it in may pocket and pressing on my wallet.
When the height was close, I switched to an emery board. Using the rough side
to do a little final shaping and finishing with the fine side.
Total time: about 5 minutes. Now, I wonder why I waited so long! A simple, easy fix.
Norton

·
Registered
136 Posts
I need to do the same think to my 3at. The magazine has been released twice this week when I got home and took it out of my pocket for the night.

I use this holster from Concealment Concepts and I love it.
http://www.concealmentconceptsholsters.com/images/wallet-in-pocket-for-web.gif

I wanted to remove the release for sanding so I haven't done it yet. I plan on sanding it down today. I guess I will try sanding it without removing it from the frame, using tape as you recommended.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I file mine down until I have to use my thumbnail to release the magazine. The last thing I want in a life and death fight is a magazine which has accidentally released.

In my opinion it isn't practical to do a quick magazine change with these little guns at the distances you are likely to use them. If you feel you need to carry more ammo the best way to do it is in another KT pistol.

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
fatman said:
In my opinion it isn't practical to do a quick magazine change with these little guns at the distances you are likely to use them. If you feel you need to carry more ammo the best way to do it is in another KT pistol.
I agree on the impracticality of reloading during the fight, but carry a spare mag so I can reload if a lull occurs. Nothing like standing around with an empty pistol waiting to see who will arrive first: dying gangsta's homies or the police.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I went to work on my magazine release this weekend. I actually removed the plastic piece and "hit" it with a Dremel cut off wheel. I did replace it a time or two to see how much material to remove without making it too difficult to get the magazine out when needed. When I thought it was about right I reassembled everything and put it back in the holster then pushed it the area of the release and the magazine came right out. I repeated the procedure and now it works very well. I cannot get the magazine to release while in the holster but it comes right out when I need it. I am a happy man!

Billy

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not sure how we got to dropping a mag in a gunfight, from stopping an accidental mag release. Here's my two cents anyway: if I use the pistol for defense and I have the ability to take cover, I will reload ASAP.
If you find this contrary to what many think & write, it is. I was taught,
engage when necessary & make use of cover. I am not waiting around to see
what effect there is, I'm moving to a new position/concealment. I've got
the time if I'm the good guy, the BG is the one who doesn't want to be there when the PD shows up.
Radical? No more so than two guys standing and punching each other. Put some one in with a little training and their moving, ducking, blocking.
Norton

·
Registered
4,301 Posts
Makes sense to me. The ability to take cover = the lull. If you bothered to bring a spare mag, it is the perfect time to get "full" again, especially since we are talking about a pocket pistol cartridge.

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
It would be a pretty rare BG who would stick around for a prolonged gunfight. Time is not on their side, they have to assume the police are on the way.

My impression is that these things are pretty much over within 60 seconds from the time the first shot is fired.

I completely agree that after the first exchange and while waiting for the police inserting a new magazine would be feasible and wise.

If you had a firearm failure for any reason in the first 60 seconds though I think the only practical way to get back into action in time to matter would be to access a second gun. Just my opinion and my children think that isn't worth a whole lot.

G

·
fatman said:
....  Just my opinion and my children think that isn't worth a whole lot.

;D fatman....... [highlight] WE[/highlight] all love to hear your opinion.

Mitch.... Who has kids that KNOW he is a non-pc RETARD!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.