Magazine premature ejectulation

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by obxned, Feb 24, 2008.

1. obxned

obxned New Member

Jan 25, 2007
    Recently my 2nd. gen P3AT has been releasing the magazine with the very slightest of pressure.  Since I carry it by the belt clip, this is a BIG problem!  A tiny bump or even pressure from a seat belt causes my gun to become a single shot.  

Anybody know a quick fix??  I hate to send it in because I can't stand to be with out it.  My only thought was to file down the release button so that it does not protrude so far, but I am not sure that is the best solution.

2. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    you are kidding about sending it in, right?

call KT on monday, ask for SERVICE, NOT SALES.

Get a magazine catch AND!!!!!!!! MAGAZINE CATCH SPRING.

Invest in a 0.57 pair of hemostats from harbor freight, change it yourself.

total time to do, less than 1 hr.

the confidence from doing it yourself...priceless.

3. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    A good safe holster? Seriously, whatever is hitting your mag release could possibly get into the trigger as well.

When shooting this is normally the result of a thumb or finger hitting it. When sitting or carrying it is usually bumping it. When getting weak the mag catch and spring as defined by RJ above will quite easily solve it. Many choose to file down the release (put tape all around it and go slow so you don't over do it and/or nick the grip with your file) even with a new strong spring.

-Scott

4. gatorhugger

gatorhugger Banned

Jan 19, 2008
    I have heard a lot about this issue. Is this related to a certain batch of guns? Mine doesn't have an issue, is it something that can develop over time?

5. obxned

obxned New Member

Jan 25, 2007
    Thanks guys!  I would never send my P3AT off on a Florida vacation until I had another P3AT to carry while the first is away.

I plan to call 'Service' and get the parts plus spares and fix it myself.  What I really needed was confirmation that I was headed in the right direction.  Thanks again.

As far as a holster: no thanks, I'll continue using the belt clip.  I have satisfied myself that it is safe.  It also is the best carry method given how I dress.  I usually wear cheap. beltless shorts and a T-shirt, and I'm too old and stubborn to change that now.

6. virtual-rj

virtual-rj New Member

Jul 22, 2007
    Houston, TX
    use a pair of hemostats and a good LED flashlight, and you will be all set.

7. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    No it is not related to any particular group of guns.  Some folks inadvertently hit the mag release when they shoot.  A good fix for that is to file down the mag release button.   It is taller than it needs to be.  

The P3AT does have a polymer mag catch.  It is possible to shave it down by slamming the mags in.  It doesn't happen very often, but it does happen.  To avoid the possibility of this, many simply depress the mag catch when inserting the mags.  IMO, it is a good idea.  

Another mag catch issue involves the use of the curved mag extensions.  Some people's hands fit the grip extensions in such a way that they pull down on the mag and put additional stress on the mag catch causing it to pop loose when the gun is fired.  This is probably often related to a marginal mag catch that has been worn from hard use.  Usually, changing the mag catch solves the problem but I have seen folks that had to discontinue using a curved mag extension.  The straight +1 mag extension doesn't seen to cause this problem. None of these events are that likely to occur, but it is good to be aware of them and know what to do.