Magazine pops out

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by popcycle, Feb 27, 2008.

1. popcycle

popcycle New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Have new 3AT and notice that often times the magazine pops out when pistol is fired, especially on the first shot. I always load 6+1 and begin. I do have the pinky extensions. Suggestions please.
    :)

2. Bobo

Bobo Well-Known Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    1. Make sure you're not inadvertently depressing the magazine catch while shooting.

2. Try it without the finger extensions.
    If it is OK without the extensions the magazine catch is worn.
    If it still does it without the extensions...

3. Try it with a different magazine.
    If it's OK with a different magazine send the bad magazine back to Kel-Tec and request a new one.
    If both magazines do it, it's a worn magazine catch.

If it's a bad catch, you can call Kel-Tec service and you will have the choice to send the gun to them and they will fix it or you can order the parts (catch and spring) and replace the parts yourself.
    If it's a new gun as you say, they will usually arrange to pay for shipping both ways. They usually will send out all minor parts free no matter how old the gun is.

3. popcycle

popcycle New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Thank you very much for the prompt reply. Yes both magazines respond the same. I will try the recommendations although I am not really clear on why the pinky extensions would make a difference.
    Thanks again.

4. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Depending on your hand size, sometimes your hand puts too much downward pressure on the mag via the extension. This can pop the mag loose from the gun when it fires. A few folks have had to give up the extensions. I would first make sure that you are not inadvertently hitting the mag catch when the gun fires. If that prooves to be the case, you can file the buitton down a bit or adjust your grip.

5. popcycle

popcycle New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Thank you gentlemen ....you both have been very helpful. and I appreciate the concerted effort that most make on this site to keep the issues focused.
    Thanks again

6. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    I had the same problem except that my mag. would drop with no apparent pattern. Its the problem I had with my P3AT that brought me to KTOG (if memory serves me correctly). I got a new catch and spring from Kel_Tec but never installed it because I opted for the metal catches that were being sold by one of the members here at KTOG. I've not had a single mag. drop in maybe ~200 rounds(?).

IMHO the so called "plastic" catches are a weakness of the P3AT; feel a MIM catch would be nearly as inexpensive and would fix, if not at least greatly reduce, the incidenses of mag. drops.

Take care ...

7. gatorhugger

gatorhugger Banned

Jan 19, 2008
    curious, how long does it take to wear out a plastic catch? Is this a common issue?

8. Bobo

Bobo Well-Known Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    Some seem to wear very quickly, some never seem to wear.

To help avoid the problem hold the catch in while loading the mag - once the mag is all the way in release the catch. This prevents the hole on the metal magazine from cutting on the plastic catch as it is inserted.

9. halfmoonclip

halfmoonclip New Member

Sep 17, 2004
    An additional suggestion to the OP-
    Make sure your mag(s) will seat fully. My new P3 was refusing to lock in mags or tried to pop them out (Here we go again!!!! sez I); careful examination showed that flashing on the mag floorplates and magwell were keeping the mags from fully seating. After a little careful trimming on both, the problem went away and has stayed away.
    Don't get carried away trimming.
    Moon

10. I had this problem on all of my 3AT's... when my shooting buddy tried to shoot them, and just a few times whe I was the shooter.

I think it had to be finger position and us hitting the mag release.

My solution was to install metal mag catches after I filed them down to just above flush with the grip.

It is no longer a problem for me or my friend.

11. Silver_Dollar

Silver_Dollar New Member

Apr 25, 2007
    This seems to be quite common. I replaced the plastic mag catch twice, was very careful when inserting the mag, and still had frequent problems. Like many here, I thought I was pressing the release with my thumb. I replaced the plastic catch with a metal one and it hasn't happened since. Kel Tec should make necessary changes to address this ongoing problem.

12. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    Amen!

13. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Repeated issues with a mag catch can indicate that your grip is warped or out of spec giving too much clearance for the mag catch to stay locked.  FWIW, KT just released a metal mag catch for the PF-9.  Perhaps others will follow. One of the things listed on the KT future products survey at the Shot Show was the availability of upgraded parts.

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1202102289 

14. hotwheels

hotwheels Guest

I experienced the accidental magazine drop as well. It's the manner in which I grip the little gun. If you have a belt sander and are very careful, you can remove some of the rounded surface of the magazine release button. I didn't even have to remove the part from the grip. It only takes a quick pass to accomplish.