Magazine "Pops" out After Reassembly

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by p309, Mar 10, 2009.

1. p309

p309 New Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Hi All-  I'm new here, and I own a P3AT. This is a great forum for info! After firing my new pistol at the range, I took it apart for cleaning. After putting it back together, the magazine behaves differently. When it's loaded with rounds, it will fairly spring out of the weapon, whereas it did not before. Before I took it apart, the mag did not seem like it was under any spring pressure at all. Did I do something wrong in reassembly?
     All I've done so far to troubleshoot is take the firearm apart again, and give it a lookover, and then put it back together. Same results.  I also tried a forum search, but didn't really find any answers.
         Thanks in advance for any help..

2. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    Don't know about before.

But a loaded mag should "spring" out of the gun when the mag release is pressed.

The top round is being pressed down into the magazine at all times by the slide.

SO the magazine is under full magazine spring pressure against the bottom of the slide as long as there is any ammo in it.

Sounds perfectly normal to me.

rc

3. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008
    +1
    I just checked my P3AT and PF9 and what you describe sounds normal to me also. Did you disassemble the magazine? If so I would just check and make sure you put the mag spring back in the correct way. Other than that I wouldn't worry about it.

CJ

4. p309

p309 New Member

Mar 10, 2009
    Hey, thanks for the replies. I understand what you mean-- the rounds in the magazine touch the slide, as if the rounds and the spring were one continual spring. When I first got the pistol ( sold as NIB ), the mag would slip out a hair when pressing the release button, but now it fairly shoots out of the well. Thanks again, I feel a bit safer with it now.