Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking for why I'm having trouble with my RFB and noticed that the receiver is part of the upper, and sheet metal. The entire lower section is polymer, and if you buy it without extra parts, reasonably cheap ($32/side). I know there are a bunch of other parts involved, and it probably isn't the simplest to swap over, but it means if you screw up the plastic part you can get a replacement for a reasonable cost.

Has anyone tried to retrofit a 308 AR magazine setup? They're cheap, they're everywhere, etc - I imagine it's what KelTec would have done if they were designing this now. I'd probably do something like buy a 308 AR 80%, cut it up, dremel the RFB setup, and epoxy in the AR magwell. Obviously it wouldn't be the prettiest, but it would have some significant advantages (especially for those of us who have other guns that use the mags).

If this was a mass market gun I think someone would have done this already (look at the SCAR-17), but with the production numbers we see it seems unlikely.

Is there anything I'm missing that would make it not at all possible? I'm not expecting it to be particularly easy, not even sure that I'll be doing it, just considering it.

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
It would probably require modifying the top of the magazine as well. The FAL mag plugs up into and interfaces with the bottom of the Machined RFB receiver. Knock your lower and bolt carrier off and plug a FAL mag up into the receiver and you will see what I mean. the FAL bolt also rides down into the top of the mag so a pathway for this square bottomed bolt would also need to be accomidated...

The AR platform also retains the mag by the side near the rear. In the RFB, that is where the ambidexterous bolt-stop mechanism is located...

It sure would be nice to have a Magpul level of mag available for the RFB though... Even suggested that MP turn out a FAL metric mag so maybe I will get my wish someday...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.