Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Up till now I've only loaded my magazine with 5 rounds (range rules). Today I loaded 6 rounds in my factory issue magazine but my P3-AT would not accept it. It could be inserted to within about 3mm of being fully seated. I tried a gentle nudge but it wouldn't go and I was afraid to push harder. I tried it again with 5 rounds and had no problems. I'm sure this gun has the capacity of 6 plus one in the tube. Am I missing something?
While I've got your attention, a question about the bersa magazine extension. The nipple that holds the magazine base plate in place doesn't protrude as much on the bersa extension. However, it seems to be staying in place nicely. Should I be concerned about this? Keep in mind that the problem that I mentioned earlier regarding magazine insertion was without using the extension.
Thanks
Larry

·
Registered
89 Posts
at least with mine it takes a lot of force(more than u wud think) for the mag catch to engage with six rounds...i also "baby"(push in the release) my mag catch since i had to replace one... 8)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Regarding 3mm/3m&m-peanut of course ;)
Regarding 5 round maximum-just a range rule. I live in good old gun friendly Indiana. I think that the guys that make up the rules don't want somebody showing up with a bag of 15 round magazines and keeping everybody at the firing line. To be honest I'm not sure why we have the rule but my indoor range is a good/safe place to shoot and near my home :) To be honest, when no one else is at the range I load up and let it rip.
Larry(who will refrain from using the metric system in future post)

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
When you have 6 in the magazine, can you push the rim of the rounds deeper another 5.8mm

It might be the spring not seating fully in the base and follower.

I would take the magazine base off and make sure the spring orentation was correct (that is the spring pushing evenly on follower, if turned it would push more on the back of the follower)
I just reassembled mine backwards to check, and while the follower felt wrong, I was still able to push 6 rounds down that extra 5.8mm untill the follower went solid to the base

Besure the spring is inside the follower and properly seated on the base when replacing

To remove the base, the assembly pin works great to push and hold in the release button, helps slide it off, and acts as a stop incase it lets go a slides off quickly

About the m&m's.   I just that you were the 3rd here in the last couple days to have thier first post using them AND I had a paying customer out of the country I am trying to help talking about pascals

JFB said:
"to measure is to Know"

the magazine spring has a wire diameter of 0.035".
there are 12 coils
the solid height would be 0.42

the inside space in the follower is 0.42, so the spring goes solid at the same time the follower touches the inner plate

with 6 rounds in the magazine, the follower is 0.23" from bottoming. you should be able to push the top of the last round down so the rim is flush with the notch in the back of the magazine.

when pushing the rounds down the last 0.040"to check above, I can feel the spring jump a coil (requiring just a little more force)

when installing a fully loaded magazine, the rounds are pushed down 0.180", thus the spring is just 0.050" from solid and at the point I feel the slighty coil jump.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Could be a burr or some hangup in the mag tube preventing the follower from moving all the way down. :-/

·
Registered
373 Posts
unit1069 said:
I read this before and have been doing it for some time with my Kel-Tec. Is this something that should be done with any semi-auto pistol?

Kel-Tec uses plastic for their mag release so it is wise to push in the release for magazine insertion to prevent future replacement of the mag release. On guns that use metal in their releases, you don't have to worry about it. You can just slam those in.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I took my magazine apart and simply put it together again. It seems to work ok now. Must have been something a little off. I still have to push a bit more with 6 in the mag vs 5. I think I may start to push the mag release button when inserting a mag. Thanks again.
Larry

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
LTH said:
 I think I may start to push the mag release button when inserting a mag.  
Definately do that.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.