Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In my new to me su16 using brownelles 30 round magazines i have a lot of front to back movement in the magazine well . is this typical ? it causes feed issues with ammo other than fmj .

·
Registered
27 Posts
I do not have an answer here, but an added question. Of all the different AR type magazines available, what are the recommended best fit ones?

Brian

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
In my new to me su16 using brownelles 30 round magazines i have a lot of front to back movement in the magazine well . is this typical ? it causes feed issues with ammo other than fmj .

Try a good USGI mag or P-mag, the SU-16 is designed around 30 rd USGI metal mags. Borrow a known good one from someone who uses it in a AR, it should work fine, if not report back.

Bam Bam

·
Registered
151 Posts
Both of my 30rd mags have a little wobble. This allows both to drop free, unlike the tight Kel Tec 10 rounders. My Troy BattleMag has more play than my USGI. Neither has a problem feeding. But, I've only run FMJ's through them.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I have no wobble with metal mags. I like them since they fall out with no pulling from my end. With the KelTec mag I have to pull on it to remove it. Tips on the bullets should have little effect. I ran some soft points last time out with no issues.Winchester primers & soft point 55 grain.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i have a 1/8" or more of front to back movement with usgi mags . it causes rounds to hit below the barrel extension unless they are fmj and it still chews up the bullets pretty badly half the time .

·
Registered
43 Posts
I would contract Kel-tec and see what they suggest. Chewed up bullets don't sound right to me.
RW

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
About the only thing i can do is try a plastic magazine to see if that helps any .I am not the original owner , i doubt i am covered under warranty . Fmj seems to feed fine and shoot , but around one outa five bullet tips get banged up . The bottom photo is a link to a video of the amount of movement . Is this typical ? I guess i should just shoot FMJ , but ammo picky guns bug me lol .

55grain wolf polyformace Hollow points are a no go

·
Registered
151 Posts
That isn't right. You don't have any other magazines, other than Brownells? I was gonna suggest checking your bolt catch/mag catch/mag well area. But, it looks like your bolt catch, and I assume your mag catch, is working properly. I believe I've heard of their springs failing. I thought that might cause some looseness...

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That isn't right. You don't have any other magazines, other than Brownells? I was gonna suggest checking your bolt catch/mag catch/mag well area. But, it looks like your bolt catch, and I assume your mag catch, is working properly. I believe I've heard of their springs failing. I thought that might cause some looseness...
Yea the mag catch and the bolt catch work as they should , i did fumble with it in the video though lol . I don't have any other magazines , I cant see any other usgi style fitting much differently though . I'll try a pmag when i can afford one .

·
Premium Member
5,240 Posts
About the only thing i can do is try a plastic magazine to see if that helps any .I am not the original owner , i doubt i am covered under warranty .

Per Kel-Tecs site:

Warranty Update: Second Owner Responsibilities
08-05-2011

Hello from Kel-Tec!

We wanted to take a minute to update all of our Kel-Tec customers about what we term "second owner responsibilities" in regards to our lifetime warranty. Since the founding of Kel-Tec we've always had a lifetime warranty that technically applied to original owners only. We have never actually enforced this rule and would accept all Kel-Tec weapons under this lifetime warranty regardless of ownership.

As the years pass and more and more Kel-Tec weapons enter circulation, the cost of offering a blanket lifetime warranty increases drastically. To stave off some of these costs, we have officially decided to enforce our lifetime warranty, which applies only to the original owner of the firearm.

That said, all Kel-Tec owners may still enjoy great service, however if you are not the original owner we will ask that shipping be paid in addition to a flat $40.00 labor fee. Depending on the severity of the repair we may need to charge for parts as well. This applies only to those who are NOT the original owner of their weapon.

As a courtesy we have decided to grandfather those who have already been through the repair system as original owners. So if your weapon has already been in to us prior to this implementation, we will still treat you as the original owner even if you are not.

In order to prove original ownership we will need a copy of the bill of sale in the owner's name, or a copy of the form 4473 that was filled out with the firearm when it is sent in. Indication of the date of purchase must be included. If you have trouble obtaining these items, please call in to our customer service and we will see what can be done to help you.

As yet another courtesy, we may be able to reimburse up to $35.00 of shipping charges IF the difficulty can be duplicated by Kel-Tec (be sure you aren't limp-wristing before sending your weapon in) and the following criteria are met:

Shipping refund requests must be provided in writing, along with a copy of the original shipping receipt, and must accompany both the firearm and the bill of sale at the time of service. The firearm must meet Kel-Tec's criteria and be approved by the servicing gunsmith before eligibility will be considered.

Additionally, most FFL holders or licensed gunsmiths can ship a firearm back to the manufacturer via a US Mail one rate box for significantly less than a civilian can. We highly suggest going that route for sending weapons in as it is the least cost prohibitive.

If you have any questions please call our customer service at 321-631-0068 or 1-800-515-9983

If you need service from Kel-Tec, it should only costs $40 and possibly some parts, still way cheaper than a new rifle or having a gunsmith fix it.

BTW I checked mine with a USGI and P-mag, both have a very small amount of play, nothing like yours does. I would call Kel-Tec and ask what to do. Good luck.

Bam Bam

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
A friend is going to bring by an early colt USGI 20 round magazine to test out and the guy i got it from is supposed to be sending me the pmag he "forgot" to bring when we traded . I cant afford to send it in , I'll have to save for a while if it need to go in .

·
Registered
151 Posts
Good idea. I would want to test it with other mags, first. I can't help but think it is an issue with the Brownells. Seems to me, if the receiver was damaged enough to create that much play, you would notice the damaged area.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Good idea. I would want to test it with other mags, first. I can't help but think it is an issue with the Brownells. Seems to me, if the receiver was damaged enough to create that much play, you would notice the damaged area.
That's what I'm thinking , there are no damaged or worn parts nor heavily worn or damaged spots on the receiver . I'll report back on how it goes .

Edit :seems to feed alot better with the 1960s 20round colt mags , my buddy swapped me the brownells for two colt mags . the shelf were the mag catches is wider on the colt mags and seems like less play.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I bought a couple PMAGS and they fit great. No wiggle. I still need to get some ammo and take the rifle out to the range. As for magazine fit though, the PMAGS are great.

Brian

·
Registered
31 Posts
the pmags will serve you well have had no issues at all with them same with the gi mags :) happy shooting

·
Registered
5 Posts
In NY I'm limited to preban mags. Just got some Colt USGI 30 rounders and a box of 7 straight 20 rounders made in 1970 at the colt factory in Hartford CT. Partly a sentimental purchase i admit. Perfectly flawless operation after 40+ years of storage. People say straight 20s will work for another 40 years.
The look of the 20s is nice too.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts