Magazine fit

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Gramps300, Oct 14, 2009.

1. Gramps300

Gramps300 New Member

Apr 21, 2009
    My new P3AT, KEJxx, won't hold a fully loaded magazine no matter how I try inserting it.  Five rounds in the mag and the release snaps right in and holds the mag securely, but with six rounds, the release doesn't enter the slot in the mag.  I don't care to have two of my KTs waiting in line for service in FL, so I'm hoping someone has a quick fix.

I kinda wish I had bought the P3TA before the P11 and P40.  It is SO easy a carry weapon!  With a Clipdraw clip, the pistol is quite happy in the watch pocket of my normal attire, blue jeans and a tee shirt.

2. JB

JB Guest

Have you tried holding the mag release in, inserting the mag pretty much all the way, letting go of the mag release and then 'slapping' the bottom of the mag to fully seat it? Many of us with P3ATs use that method, anyway, to try and extend the life of the plastic mag release.

Other than that, I am sure some of the other (more P3AT-savvy) guys on here will be along to help, soon.

3. Ka6otm

Ka6otm New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Try putting your thumb on the base of the magazine and your index finger on the top of the slide and pushing with the thumb until it seats. You get lots of pressure this way.

Mine was this way for a while, then the problem went away after 100 rounds or so...

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Could be the magazine.
    put 6 rounds in magazine and then see if you can push the rounds down so that NO rim can be seen above the back. They rounds should also go down that far smoothly. if there is snapping, it is the magazine assembly, possible the last coil of the spring not going into the follower.

scrape the bottom of the follower so that there are no mold overruns and the inside is tapered to allow coils to go inside.
    assemble mag with out spring and load 6 rounds, the rim should not be above the back of the magazine.

when assembling, be sure spring goes in so that coil angle matches follower angle. be sure the coil fits onto the base shim and then retry pushing down with 6 rounds.

It has been recomended by others to take a ruler and force the follower to the bottom several times in hopes by forcing, the mold overruns will get torn off and possible force the bottom coil into correct position

5. RAT76

RAT76 Active Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma

This is the method I had to use on mine. I pressed the release, pushed the mag in all the way (you could feel the top round being pressed down ) then un-push the mag release.

I do the P40 & P32 the same way.

6. nvp3at

nvp3at New Member

Sep 29, 2009
    My father and I just broke in our two new P3AT's.  At first, the magazines would not seat fully in either pistol without a little trick....  Holding the gun in your shooting hand with the magazine release depressed.  Insert the magazine fully.  Release the magazine release.  With your supporting hand index finger in the trigger guard, (behind the trigger!!!) and your supporting hand thumb on the bottom of the magazine, squeeze while moving your thumb forward toward your supporting hand index finger.  You will get a lot of leverage and you should hear the magazine catch click into place.  Like I said, both guns were like this out of the box and would not engage the mag catch no matter how hard we pushed, but the thumb trick worked every time.  After my first 60 rounds, both of my magazines fully seat without the thumb trick.

7. Gramps300

Gramps300 New Member

Apr 21, 2009
    Yup.  With enough force, it'll click in place.  Fooled me because both my p11 and p40 just slip in with a gentle push to lock in place.  Thanks for all the good suggestions.

8. WesKCMO

WesKCMO New Member

Aug 25, 2009
    Kansas City, Missouri
    I had a similar problem with my newest AT out of the box as well (KB7**)... I used to seat the mag as far as it would go then bump it the rest of the way home with my palm (warning: this is bad on the plastic factory magazine release). I didnt care about damaging the plastic mag release, because I planned on aquiring a metal release from DaveNC eventually anyway.

After switching to a metal mag release the problem was no longer present and I'm confident the mag release will live as long as the P3AT... probably longer. And I can seat my mags worry free the way I'm used to... slam'em home!

9. copterdrvr

copterdrvr New Member

Apr 11, 2009
    I don't slam any of the magazines into my semi-auto's, I usually just push in the mag. release so that the magazine slides smoothly into place. Never had any problem with any of them and the mags all lock into place solidly. The Keltecs are not guns designed for speed loading, I don't even think they are designed to shoot alot. They are designed to be carried alot and shot alittle. I love them because they are so small and pack a big punch. Mine are totally reliable---when I shoot them, which is not all that often. When I want to do alot of shooting I use my Browning Hi-Power or my Colt 45 ACP or my CZ 75. Those are guns designed to shoot alot!