magazine finger extension

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by huckle, Oct 10, 2010.

1. huckle

huckle New Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Got one of those finger magazine extension things and finally got to try it out. GLAD I got it! That little extra helps a ton - that and some grip adjustments. Having two whole fingers vs 1 and 1/2 makes a difference.

2. PF9Newbie

PF9Newbie New Member

Nov 22, 2008
    Wisconsin
    I don't normally like mag extensions on these small guns, but I have a Crimson Trace laser on my 1st Gen P3AT and find that the laser takes up just enough space on the grip that the mag extension really does help in getting a decent grip on this little power house. While the mag extension on the PF9 seems to cause some problems for many, it does not seem to do so for the P3AT. I did grind down the sharp tip of the extension, rounding it off a bit, and smoothing the under side of the extension for better looks as well as keeping it more concealable without the sharp tip printing through my pocket.

Jim R

3. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Hi,

I prefer the +one magazine extension ove the regular finger extension in that it gives you an extra round, and its less prone to snag drawing out of the pocket.  It's a personal preference, I'm sure that somebody prefers the other which is better with large hands or uses a holster.

Best Regards: :cool:

huffy49 likes this.
  4. huckle

huckle New Member

Jan 15, 2010
    Is that one longer?

5. RobO-excop

RobO-excop Member

Apr 27, 2009
    Reno,NV
    I have a PF9 that I have added Pearce mag extensions (modified, from the Kahr PM9) and I like them very much! I am considering getting a P3AT because the PF9 is a little harder to conceal than I expected. I know from experience with my PF9 that I will need some form of extension on the grip or mags because I have med/large hands...
     I have heard that mag extensions from a Bersa 380 will work, and Pearce makes them for the P3AT too.  I think I have heard that K/T makes a 10? round mag for the P3AT as well. My thinking is to go with an extended standard mag in the holster and the 10 round mag as my reload, similar to the set up that Ruger offers with the SR9C. Any opinions? :-/

6. MphsTiger1981

MphsTiger1981 New Member

Feb 4, 2010
    Rob,

The KT is actually a 9 round magazine.  This gives the little P3AT almost a full size grip.

7. buckeyedave

buckeyedave Member

Jan 1, 2010
    That finger extension sure helps take the snap out of firing. I don't regret getting one!
    Dave

8. RobO-excop

RobO-excop Member

Apr 27, 2009
    Reno,NV
    Rob,

The KT is actually a 9 round magazine.  This gives the little P3AT almost a full size grip.[/quote]

You're right... I saw it somewhere, probably on the Kel Tec site and I might have been thinking "9 plus 1". I really like the idea of using a standard mag with a finger rest in the holster and the 9 round mag as my spare/reload mag. My experience with the finger rests on my PF9 mags and my hand size tells me that I need check out my options. The K/T finger rest didn't help much and the mod'd Pearce/Kahr PM9 finger rest allowed me to get enough of my pinky finger on the grip. I am sure that will be even more an issue with the P3AT.
    What I really meant to ask was: which finger rest works with med/large hands, K/T, Pearce, or a Bersa 380 finger rest?
    I guess I could try all 3, since I already have access to my wife's Bersa and I would only have to purchase the K/T and the Pearce rests... :D

9. michaelstano

michaelstano New Member

Jun 10, 2006
    Some time ago, I bought a Bersa finger extension.  Is the KT extension different in shape or size?  Does it offer any advantage over the Bersa model?

TIA for any information.

Mike

10. Ka6otm

Ka6otm New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    While this looks like it's a good thing to me, a question comes up. Considering how delicate the magazine release is on the P3AT, wouldn't this put constant pressure on it and cause premature failure? Or am I totally full of it? :)

11. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    The Bersa extensions are very commonly used. It is true that the hooked shape can cause more downward pressure on the mag catch but it is not that common a problem. Personally, I prefer the +1 extension for its flat profile and the added round. :cool:

[​IMG]

12. Harleyrider

Harleyrider New Member

Feb 24, 2011
    Hi.  I'm new to the group and to the gun.  I just bought two of the small finger rests that attach at the bottom of the magazine.  Can anyone tell me how to install them?  I don't know anything about assembling/disassembling magazines, and I don't want to try to experiment and figure it out on my own.

Thanks in advance!

13. Karle

Karle New Member

Jan 1, 2011
    i bought a 9 round mag at the gun show last saturday with the intent to use it as a secondary mag.....but what i found was that even with the 9 round mag the P3at still fits in my pocket just fine.....and in fact it doesn't seem to print if i pocket it without a pocket holster...

while this is still my BUG i am considering carrying it as a primary in certain situations now with the 9 round mag installed....

14. 82boy

82boy New Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Wher is the best place to buy an extention?

15. huckle

huckle New Member

Jan 15, 2010
  16. martywj

martywj New Member

Nov 12, 2010
    I use both the Kel Tec pinky extension and the +1 extension. I carry the gun with pinky extenstion mag in place since it fits in my pocket better and carry a space mag with the +1 extension.

I will say this that the +1 gives a bit better grip when shooting I think, but the pinky extension gets the job done.

Marty

17. cameronthered

cameronthered New Member

Apr 16, 2011
    I know this is an old thread but I'm going to be buying some of these grip extensions for my p3at. Which one do you guys prefer? The keltec extensions look like they are a little longer than the Pierce grips, is this true? I have the +1 extension right now but I don't trust it as the base plate likes to slide off whenever it wants and I know it's been assembled correctly.

18. P250UA5

P250UA5 New Member

Sep 12, 2011
    Spring, TX
    I've only shot the 3AT with the extensions. Just enough to hold on to. Don't know that I'd want to try it without them.

19. TnRebel

TnRebel New Member

Feb 5, 2011
    I got one of mine from Kel-Tec and the other from Bersa and with my Arthritis I couldn't handle it without them.
    [​IMG]

20. cameronthered

cameronthered New Member

Apr 16, 2011
    Thanks Rebel for the side by side comparison, it really helps!