Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just went out in the backyard and put 100 +/- rounds through the new P3AT.  Out of my 5 magazines I have one magazine that is giving me fits.  

It either does not eject the casing for round 5 and load round 6 (both seem to end up jammed up in the ejection port) or it fails to eject the casing on round 6. The empty brass looks deformed on the FTE casing like you laid it on its side and hit it with a chisel running parallel the length of the casing (but not the whole length, only up at the open end).

This magazine also is the hardest of all of them to get to lock in.  It will not lock in if I keep the mag release button depressed while I insert it (the button stays depressed).  And will only fully lock in with a hard upward hit.  Before firing I took the mag completely apart, cleaned and smoothed everything including smooting the edges of the very rough base plate.

The obvious is that it is a bad magazine isn't it?  I was focussed on getting rounds through the new family member and didn't have any problems with the other 4 magazines either with or without the mod-man extensions.

Thank you for your thoughts.

-Scott >

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Send it back for replacement.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Is the base plate hitting the bottom of the grip? If it's not that the mag catch hole must not be in the right spot.

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought that the burrs on the baseplate might have been hanging it up so I smoothed them totally out. It is NOT bottoming out on the bottom of the grip - I think its the catch hole. I was going to pull out the needle files and work on that, but now with the FTF's????

-Scott

G

·
did u try to compare it with the other 4 to see if you can actually see a difference. Try switching floor plates and see if that helps any

·
Registered
11,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
jocko said:
did u try to compare it with the other 4 to see if you can actually see a difference.  Try switching floor plates and see if that helps any
Actually yes. There does not appear to be any difference in "gap" at the bottom. And to make matters worse - the "bad" magazine locks up fine in one of my other P3ATs and all my other mags lock up fine in this one. I tried putting one of my old base plates on it from when I switched to the mod-man plates and it made no difference.

-Scott

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
Are you absolutely sure that you have the mag spring in correctly, IE with the upward pointing tip at the front? If so, have you tried flipping it end for end?

Are there any discernable differences in the feed lips and their distance apart? Have you tried swapping springs or followers from another mag?

Packer.

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
You probably would not have to send it back. Call KT service at 1-800-515-9983. Explain your problem and ask for a replacement. If they want the old one back, they will send along a post paid envelope to return it in.

Packer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.