Magazine Extention Problem??

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by mhiggi02, Sep 22, 2007.

1. mhiggi02

mhiggi02 New Member

Aug 21, 2007
    I recently received and installed the 7th round magazine extention. There is a metal piece on the back side of the magazine at the bottom that prevents me from easily putting the magazine into the well. Don't get me wrong, I can get it in but I have to tilt the bottom of the magazine forward once I get the top of the magazine in the well. Am I the only one with this issue? Please help.

Thanks,
    Michael

2. TexasGeezer

TexasGeezer New Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Mine is a bit like that also, but does not prevent insertion of the mag..

Can't you carefully bend the "L" a little so it fits properly?

3. mhiggi02

mhiggi02 New Member

Aug 21, 2007
    Thx TX Geezer. The vertical piece of the "L" is supposed to be on the outside of the mag, correct?

4. Bigrig

Bigrig New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    I just installed three of those extensions. Make sure the "L" shaped piece of metal is pushed foward into the magazine far enough. The little metal tab should pop all the way into the round hole in the base. There is some good advice here http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/magext.htm (to prevent the follower from snagging).

Nathan

5. mhiggi02

mhiggi02 New Member

Aug 21, 2007
    That is a great resource page, thanks Nathan!

Michael

6. TexasGeezer

TexasGeezer New Member

Aug 29, 2007

Yes.  Suspect you looked at the link Nathan provided ?????

His advice about making sure the tab extends into the base hole might have been your issue.  Mine didn't seem to fit all that well either at first, until I got the little tab seated well into the hole.

Did you get yours to fit?

7. mhiggi02

mhiggi02 New Member

Aug 21, 2007

Yes. Suspect you looked at the link Nathan provided ?????

His advice about making sure the tab extends into the base hole might have been your issue. Mine didn't seem to fit all that well either at first, until I got the little tab seated well into the hole.

Did you get yours to fit?[/quote]
    Not yet. I guess I need to work on the plastic piece on the butt of the handle. It will go in but not as easily as it should - a tactical reload in a real self-defense situation would not be pretty as it is now. Thanks all.

8. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    I have +1's on all my in weapon carry mags.  Installing them is kind of weird.  You can fight fight and fight some more with them not seeing like it is going to work no matter what - and then all of a sudden it just slips in and fits perfectly like it was made that way - even though you did the same thing. Follow the link above and you will get it - keep trying.

Kind of like installing/uninstalling/configuring the same thing over and over again in Windoze - and then all of a sudden it works with you doing nothing different.

-Scott

9. DoubleTap

DoubleTap New Member

Sep 4, 2007
    I never could get the silly thing to accept a seventh round. The added grip surface helped with recoil, but made the gun much harder to get out of my pocket. I eventually returned the magazine to its original configuration. :-?

10. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Call KT and they'll send you a new one. Then at least you can sell it here and get your money bnack if you don't like the added length. :-/

11. Bigrig

Bigrig New Member

Sep 12, 2007
    Take it apart and do a little more filing. Out of the three extensions I installed, two required a second round of work. The second time I angled the corners on the follower and everything works now. When loading I can feel when the follower hits the extension, but a little more pressure pops it right past.

Nathan

12. cuervo

cuervo New Member

Sep 15, 2004
    On one of my magazines with the extension, I had no problem loading 7 rounds, but the magazine would not insert with the slide closed.

I compared this magazine to the others, and found that even when fully loaded, you should be able to push down about another half-radius of a bullet. This allows the magazine to be fully inserted with a closed slide.

I took mine apart and reassembled it, and it's done okay since, but maybe I was having the ledge problem mentioned on the 1bad69 site, or maybe just a kink in the spring.

13. Connection

Connection New Member

Jun 27, 2007
    That's strange. I have several extensions and never had a problem installing them or loading 7 rounds from the get go. Never had any hang up on the mag well either. :-/ My only problem with mags was with one P3AT and the old/original Beech metal mag catch. I could NOT get the mag to seat for anything, but it had nothing to do with the extension. Turned out that KT grips vary in length a slight amount and mine as just a tad too long. Nothing that an exacto knife and sandpaper couldn't take care of. ;)

14. Checker4Tix

Checker4Tix Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2007
    I'm glad I found his thread. I bought two +1 extensions for my P3AT mags recently. I installed them last week. When I finally read the directions and discovered that the little L-shaped tab goes on the outside of the magazine I was finally able to get them installed. I did notice that the 7th round is noticably more difficult to load, but just a bit. I also didn't have trouble inserting or seating the fully loaded magazine into the mag well after chambering a first round. So far so good, but I may do a little F&B on the mag extensions and followers after finding this thread. On the other hand, I haven't gone to the range yet - hopefully friday or saturday this week. Maybe I should wait for a problem to develop before attempting a fix.

Checker4Tix!