Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,

This BTW is my first post here. I'm a new P3AT owner...

I'm looking for comments/experience that might relate to mine.

I have somewhat large hands, and with the stock P3AT
magazine essentially have a one finger grip, which is
not optimal.

I recently ordered some aftermarket magazine
extenders which add a bit of length plus a finger
hook.

C.f. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...0087298532&rd=1&rd=1#ebayphotohosting

Unfortunately, I've encountered a problem. When
firing, the magazines frequently (every 3-4 shots,
avg. once per full magazine) come loose, causing
failure to feed, etc. I tried 4 extensions on 4 different
magazines, and the problem exists for all magazines,
and they all previously have several hundred rounds
through them, so the problem isn't the magazines
or accidentally hitting the release button.

I suspect it is due to the downward pressure caused
by my two fingers pressing into the space between
the trigger guard and the finger hook of the extension.

I really (*really*) like the added control offered by
these extensions. The Kel-Tec +1 extensions aren't
attractive to me due to the little metal tab that can
interfere with rapid loading of the magazine, and I
haven't seen any other magazine extenders without
the finger hook.

Comments, suggestions, similar experiences?

Cheers,

Patrick

·
Registered
5,028 Posts
Re: Magazine extenders causing magazines to come l

Welcome to the site

I've not used the extensions, but there are those on this site that swear by them, hopefully they will tell you exactly what the problem is.

But I seem to remember that they must be trimmed a little bit so that the magazine catch has a full engagement.

The magazine catch is plastic and should not be subjected to slamming a magazine in.
depressing it to insert the magazine,
then releasing it with the magazine held hard in,
then verifing the magazine is locked and the catch came back out

Somepeople also hit the catch during recoil and release the magazine. (with and with out extension). the fix is to file down the exposed height, so when you do want to depress it you must use the tip of finger.

Since it is plastic, and there has been a couple of slip by releases, the catch shoulder that holds to magazine might be damaged. Replacing it is easy. there are some detail instructions posted some where (maybe another poster will direct you to where)

Besides getting one from KT, there was a metal replacement offered for sale by a site memember

·
Registered
840 Posts

I have big fat hands also and have had success with pushing the magazine in til it "clicks" instead of slamming it in..............good luck and welcome to the club................

·
Registered
1,127 Posts

In regard to the KT +1 extension I bevel the rear of the magazine well just a little with a sharp knife and have had absolutely no problem with rapidly inserting magazines. This has worked on the 3 small KTs in my family that usually use the +1 extension.

If you anticipate having to rapidly reload under stress I suggest you consider that under stress the normal human response is to lose fine muscular coordination. If you have such large hands you probably will have some difficulty rapidly reloading such a small pistol even under normal conditions.

I don't have large hands but I don't plan on a rapid reload under stress with anything smaller than a 1911 and I am doubtful about that. My solution is to carry a second gun available to either hand as I have found it much easier to draw a second gun than reload the first one. Think about it.

·
Registered
77 Posts

Have you tried the Bersa Extension? I have had no problem with those. My hand is not as big as yours as I can get a finger and a half on the grip without the extension. I can see where you might be putting pressure on yours but I wonder if there is something else going on also.

·
Registered
89 Posts

i had the same problem...among others during my break-in period.

i replaced the mag catch with a new factory catch and it now locks in the mag much more securely than it ever did...instructions can be found here at the bottom of page 3 & page four...just make sure to release the hammer spring tension before disassembly...it's really quite easy.

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=104;action=display;num=1156822479;start=30

i believe design & parts tolerances just make some catches not strong enough for the extensions...i also believe in babying plastic catches.... 8)

·
Registered
11,201 Posts

Like others have said, I am guessing your mag catch is just a bit on the weak side of tolerance. Without any additional force of using the extension it works fine but put any extra down/back pressure and...

I have the same extensions on a couple of magazines. They do their job but I am not as fond of them as some others. Personal taste I guess. I prefer the weapon without anything first, and a close second with the factory +1 extension.

-Scott

·
Registered
373 Posts

Are those Scherer extensions? I'd say take a look and see where they are hitting the bottom of the grip before the mag fully engages and trim it.

·
Premium Member
1,830 Posts

I had the same problem when I added mag extensions. The extra pressure on the mag caused them to slip of the mag catch. I got a Nickel Chromium mag catch from Beach and that fixed the problem. Added plusses: the metal mag catch will never wear out, and the very audible, metal-on-metal CLICK is very reassuring. ;D

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=104;action=display;num=1156822479;start=0

·
Registered
9,377 Posts

IMHO: Extensions are not the cure all / end all for every hand size they are sometimes cracked up to be.

I know I can just squeeze one hard and shear off a plastic mag catch, because I have done it.

If your hand / finger size allows you to use them without excess downward force on the mag, they should be great.

Just not for everyone, at least in my experience.

rcmodel

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Thanks everyone for all the great input. I managed to test one of the +1 extensions, and that worked great, without the strong downward pressure I was putting on the hooked extension.

The +1 extension gives my second finger the extra grip I needed and all of the force is straight backwards, and even a bit upwards, given the shape of the extension.

I may still have a look at the magazing catch and even put in a metal replacement, but I know that I'll feel *alot* more confident about the +1 extensions than the hooked ones, since the last thing I want is my magazine to come loose or the base to sheer off just when I need it most.

I also expect the +1 extension to print less, which was also one thing I didn't like so much about the hooked extension.

Fortunately, the place I ordered the hooked extensions has great service and will let me return them.

Cheers,

Patrick

·
Registered
252 Posts

The Kel-Tec plus one mag extender is slanted toward the palm of the hand and does not add a "hook" to allow one to apply too much downward pressure. It looks strange, but probably was made that way to eliminate or avoid the problem stated here.

·
Registered
373 Posts

It's good you can return those because you were ripped off in the first place. A member on this board sells them for $5.75 per piece, 2 bucks shipping for 2.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.