Magazine ejecting after 3rd round...

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by ctcdan, Nov 28, 2007.

1. ctcdan

ctcdan New Member

May 18, 2007
    I went to the range yesterday and the P3AT I was shooting tended to eject the magazine after the third round was fired. We were using 6 different magazines, 5 with finger extensions and 1 without, and it happened with all of them. I was making sure that I didn't push on the mag release button and that the magazine was fully seated each time. Also, this happened to my buddy who was with me.

Do I need a new mag release button? Is there something else that could have caused this?

As a side note, we shot a brand new P32 after shooting 200 rounds with the P3AT and what a different experience!! The P32 performed flawlessly for all 50 rounds. A sweet shooting gun!

Could I just have a lemon?

2. toddmog

toddmog New Member

Jul 8, 2007
    I would guess you likely need a new mag catch (part #205). I suggest calling KT and they will send you out a new one. I'm sure someone will be along before long with the direct number to the service dept. (sorry I'm too lazy to look it up right now.) From what I hear, call them, not email.

3. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    6 different mags and you are not hitting the release? It pretty much must be the mag catch. Call KT service and they 'll send you one.

4. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    If that was first round from chamber and then two from a fully loaded magazine,

that has the magazine follower going past the notch in the magazine. As the follower goes by the the mag catch it pushes it back out slightly. If there is any rounding of this edge or if there is any mold flashing on its tip, it will disengage the mag.

Only put 4 rounds in mag (puts follower at the notch) and see if the mag will latch.

I just checked mine and observed that the mag catch is pushed out 0.015" by the follower. (I'm now thinking I might need to do something to mine, even though I've not had that problem)

5. WOW... Excellent logic JFB.

I would never have considered that. Sitting at work now, I don't have the ability to look at the follower etc, but would it be possible/advisable to modify the follower so it does not hit the release?

I am gratefull I have metal catches in all of my 3at's, and this issue is not one I have.

6. ctcdan

ctcdan New Member

May 18, 2007
    The situation was full magazine inserted into empty gun, slide racked to load one in the chamber and the mag ejecting after loading the 3rd round. We were able fire the 3rd round but got a FTF after that round was fired.

On examination of the mag catch (still installed in gun) I can see that the tip of the catch is "mushed over" compared to a new gun that is still unfired. I have some extras so I will change it out and see if that fixes the problem.

While cleaning the gun I noticed some burrs forming on the slide that I smoothed out. The slide seemed to rack much smoother after getting rid of the burrs. The only down side is I am doing all of this tweaking on the company's gun and not my own. I will have to get at my personal gun this weekend and put some rounds through it.

Somewhat off topic, the new Crimson Trace laser is nearing production. It has been tested with the P32 (1st and 2nd gen) and also the 1st and 2nd gen P3AT and is working great!

7. Tell ya what ctcdesigner, ship me one of those lasers, and I will put it on a NIB 3AT that I will do all the fluff and buff on.

After I get the new 3AT broken in, I will sell it to you at my cost and keep the Laser!

8. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    That is what I am THINKING. a couple draws with a small flat file might help. What might be helping mine also is the shims I added to hold the magazine solidly in the grip. not enough friction to hold it in, but keeps it from wiggling on the catch