Magazine damaged by FTE?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by slimpickens, Jan 28, 2008.

1. slimpickens

slimpickens New Member

Jan 24, 2008
    I posted a few days ago about a FTE with my new P3ATHC and the magazine needing a slam thereafter. I took the gun back to where I bought it and we tried a new magazine. The new one locked effortlessly like it did before the FTE. So my question now is does a FTE, stove pipe, damage the magazine? The next round had a noticable smile when I examined it. I saw no damage to the square hole that the latch engages so any damage had to be at the upper loading end which also wasn't obvious. So this isn't a latch or dropped magazine issue.

Also, has anyone noticed on the spent cartridges a triangulated dent and scuff approx 1/8 inch wide at the projectile opening and 1/8 inch long? Mine all have it. I wish I could do a close photo like Zeke did on his groove in the adjacent slide surface to the ejector, which I also have, but I'm not that good. Just want to know if thats a normal condition or a symptom of whats going on here.

Appreciate the input.

Slim

2. Wilson

Wilson New Member

Sep 7, 2004
    I have more P-3ATs than I can count on fingers of both hands. To a greater or less extent, they all create smilies on the next-up round. I ignore them as my P-3ATs have no problem chambering or shooting happy ammo :)

The dreaded bent mouth disease you report on spent casings occurs when the ejected spent shell hits the barrel hood during ejection. This can be aggravated by limpwristing but some P-3ATs do it 100% of the time. I have performed a minor barrel hood modification on several of my P-3ATs to eliminate bent mouth disease but I don’t recommend it unless you have completed the first three chapters of you ACME Gunsmithing correspondence course. Unless you are reloading or have more than a couple of FTE per hundred it might be better to ignore it.

Wilson – who’s not sure if he helped but he enjoyed posting :)

3. RAT76

RAT76 Well-Known Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Oklahoma
    Yep, all my P3 ejecta look like they have been worked over with a hammer.

4. slimpickens

slimpickens New Member

Jan 24, 2008
    OK, thank you for the imput. I think what I'm hearing is that the bent shell casings, even though its 100% isn't a that uncommon. Smileys also. How about the FTE's, ever heard of them causing magazine damage and should I consider sending it in for a check over. Its only 2 weeks old.
    BTW, I'm using Rem UMC FMJ.

Thanks

Slim

5. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Failure To Extract does not damage the mag in any way that I can think of. Perhaps I am misunderstanding something. How and in what way was the mag damaged and how do you see this as related to FTE? :-/

6. slimpickens

slimpickens New Member

Jan 24, 2008
    TxCajun, thanks for your reply. The reason I thought the two could be related was after experiencing the stove pipe, I could only seat the magazine with a good slam. Taking it back to the place I bought it, we tried a new mag and it locked again normally.

Going back in the archives here, I now see there is discussion of magazine damage or cracking and a link to a feed ramp modification. Thats probably beyond my skill but I sure would like to keep my magazine purchases to a minimum and my smileys down. ::)

What is your opinion of the mod and my options for getting one if your opinion of one is favorable?

I like this P3AT and will work with it to keep it.

Thanks

7. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    Assuming that you have a 2nd gen pistol, it already has the rampectomy.  If that is the case, I wouldn't worry about it.  Probably some extra flashing/polymer on the base of the mag was causing the difficulty in inserting it.  Some have needed to trim away a bit.  Also, on some guns, beveling the edge of the hammer spring catch does the trick, as seen in this link on the +1 extension:

http://www.1bad69.com/keltec/magext.htm