Magazine Clip Problem

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by KrazyMD, Dec 26, 2009.

1. KrazyMD

KrazyMD New Member

Dec 26, 2009
    I bought my wife a new P-3AT last week, and after shooting only 50 rounds of PMC FMJ, the magazine will not clip into place....with or without ammo in the magazine. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Did you have to send the gun back to KT to solve the problem?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    one possiblity is the base of the magazine has some mold flashing that is preventing the magazine to go in far enought to catch.  this is the easy fix of cutting off the flash.

more than likely it is the catch worn.  if you look inside the magazine well (with slide removed) Do you see the magazine catch, opposite the side where you press in.  
    It is real possible that the flat insert of the catch is worn off.  It is worn by inserting and removing the magazine with out first pressing the magazine in slightly so that the plastic mag catch does not slide accross the sharp metal of the mag notch.

While I have never replaced one, there is instructions in the faq/vip thread, including youtube

BTW welcome to KTOG

3. MW_surveyor

MW_surveyor New Member

Oct 30, 2009
    Try pressing the magazine release in while inserting the magazine. When the mag is in and still holding the mag in place, release the catch. If the flat is not worn completly off, it should hold. You may have to press the opposite side of the mag catch to "click in". If it doesn't, you'll need to replace the catch. There have been a number of posts regarding how to properly insert and remove the mags on these guns due to the plastic mag catch getting worn/cut by the mag.

4. KrazyMD

KrazyMD New Member

Dec 26, 2009
    Thanks for the tips everyone.

I am surprised this could happen after only 50 rounds, and the owners manual does not say anything about pressing the magazine release while inserting the magazine. Looks like I will back at the Dealer tomorrow morning!

I originally wanted the Ruger .380, but the dealer talked me into the KT. My wife really likes the KT and plans to carry it, but if it's going to have issues and be unreliable, maybe I bought the wrong gun???

Does the Ruger have a metal magazine catch?

5. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
  6. jfl

jfl New Member

Dec 20, 2009
    I had been looking at the Ruger also, but was told by 2 dealers that it was on the third recall; didn't like that, bought the P3AT. Did the F&B. The functional testing is OK. Now I need to shoot it.

7. risabee

risabee Member

Jun 23, 2007
    It is sad about the plastic catch; the number one P-3AT problem I hear about is dropped magazines.

After about 300 rounds I too began to experience this, and yet have always been careful not to "slap." I think it is not a good magazine catch materials choice and should have have been corrected by KT long ago.

I looked in the magazine well and at the magazine and thought about it; don't really want to mail it in or try to do an install.

So for now I have taken a long nosed pliers and pulled out the upper lip of the magazine's catch-slot (proper name?) a bit and, aha, no dropped magazines.

For the time being. :D

8. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    It seems the comparisons between the P3AT and LCP are coming up every week now. :-/

I have more than 1000 rounds through my P3AT and my mag release is just fine. I press the mag catch on all my semi-autos no matter what they cost. My P3AT has never had a single failure. Mag catches like firing pins are weak links in all firearms. Just like I never deliberately dry fire a gun, I never slam a mag in unless the situation requires it. Both firing pins and mag catches break no matter what gun it is. Why do you think gun makers sell both parts?

As to the LCP, I have a first generation that I bought @ 18 months ago right after it hit the market. Ruger stole the design from Kel-Tec but they couldn't copy the reliability of the P3AT or the hammer block either it seems. My LCP was not reliable at all out of the box. I did a P3AT Fluff and Buff just to get it to 90% reliability. I kept the thing because I like the size and the fit of it in my hand but I couldn't trust it. That's why I bought the P3AT. However, my LCP has finally hit what I consider 100%. It hasn't had a failure in @ 3 months. Mind you, I had to put 1000 rounds through it before this. I guess where most guns need 200 rounds to break in the LCP requires 1000 rounds.

BTW, my LCP has the plastic mad catch. Unlike KT Ruger will not give me the new part. They want $8.50 plus shipping. Don't get me wrong, I like Ruger guns. I own three. But, Ruger ain't Kel-Tec and they can't beat KT's Customer Service or warranty.

9. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    does any one know if the ruger $9 magazine catch works in the P3AT?

10. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I don't know, JFB. From the schematic view of both guns, it is clear just how many parts are potentially interchangeable. But looks are deceiving. Since I have both, I can tell you the barrels and slides are not interchangeable but the take down pin and recoil rod are. The Ruger recoil springs have a 9lb rating while the KT springs are rated 11lb. The Ruger could easily use the KT recoil springs. The mag springs in the KT are longer and stiffer than the Ruger mag spring and the Ruger would benefit from the stiffer mag springs. The slide plate on the LCP mag is too thick on top to use them on the KT mags but the followers are the same follower. Imagine that since Mec-Gar makes both mags. ;) The KT +1 extension does work on the LCP though. I have the +1 on both guns. I'm sure some of the other parts and springs could also be interchangeable.

I haven't pulled the mag catches from my guns to see just how close they are to each other outside the guns. The best way to tell would be a side by side comparison and then an attempted swap. A side by side comparison of the two mags reveals that the slot cut in the mag body where the mag catch engages the magazine is slightly larger on the KT than the Ruger. This doesn't mean that the catches are different thicknesses at this point though.

It would be necessary for some minor fitting to be done for the LCP mag catch to fit into the grip of the P3AT. Upon visual inspection a few minutes ago, the visible portions of the LCP catch is a bit thicker on both side of the grip where it can be seen. I would think that the grip of the P3AT could be opened up a bit to allow the slightly bigger catch to slip right in. If not, the metal LCP catch would need to be worked down with emery cloth or a sander. At @ $9.00 + shipping, the work would be worth it. I think I may give this mod a try.

11. regrip

regrip New Member

Aug 10, 2007
    Some one on this site was making the metal mag. catches but I can't remenber who it was. Maybe they will read this post and make contact with you. Tom. :)

12. risabee

risabee Member

Jun 23, 2007
    It was 2 Pistol Packer. I ordered one (just after he got his shop up on the new floor) but someone may have intercepted the money order. :-/ So, I still have the plastic one.

13. james__12345

james__12345 New Member

Dec 7, 2009
    Well i've noticed that packer was banned and it says he stole alot of money from members so . . . . I also saw that someone else was making the catches, but I've heard they aren't making any at the moment.

Be sure to let us know if the ruger mod fits, and how to do it. Thats something I would definatly be interested in doing.

14. P-3aT_ShoTTer

P-3aT_ShoTTer New Member

Feb 5, 2008
    IIRC DaveNC was making them, I got a couplr from him last year, great service and product IMO.

An upgrade the KT should take note of and shold make std. issue for the p32&at's.

15. justintendo

justintendo New Member

Dec 16, 2009
    so i guess we just wait for some more metal catches to pop up, huh?

16. Picatinny_Pete

Picatinny_Pete New Member

Sep 2, 2009
    Hi,

This seems to be a consistent complaint about the P3AT. I recently had the chance to play around with a Taurus PT-738 and it has a metal magazine catch as do the newer Ruger LCP's . I enjoy the P3AT for its simplicity, the less parts there are the less there are to go wrong, but the mag catch seems to be a problem area recognized by Kel-Tec's competition. I do imagine that Kel-Tec will eventually update the part though like they did with the PF-9.

Best Wishes :cool:

17. DaveNC

DaveNC Member

Mar 7, 2008
    Yes,
    I'm still milling the magazine releases for the P3AT & P32, P11, P40. After the adds got corrupted in the trader two times I just haven't gotten around to putting a new one in.

As far as the LCP metal releases working in the Keltec goes, well that's not going work at all. I know because I milled the first metal releases for the LCP last year sometime before Ruger started offering them for $8. At that point I just gave up, I wouldn't pay $40 for a metal release when I could get a factory one for $8. That's just plain stupid. :) The LCP release looks and is designed very similar to the P11 release and it will NOT fit in the Keltec P3AT nor can it be modified to do so.