Mag won't stay seated?

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by xrmattaz, Apr 1, 2008.

1. xrmattaz

xrmattaz New Member

Sep 10, 2004
    Older (ish) member here, just an hour ago picked up a brand new P3AT, Serial #JKUXX.

The mag won't stay seated/locked in place? Pops right back out when loaded up. Played with the mag release to no avail.....hmmmm.

Thoughts?

2. Packer

Packer Banned

May 14, 2005
    Check the top of the mag bottom plate. There may be some plastic flash preventing the mag from seating enough. Trim it (carefully) with a razor blade or sand/file it away. If THAT doesn't fix it, you may need a free new mag catch from KT service. 1-800-515-9983. If you can wait about 2 weeks, I can sell you a Steel one.

Packer.

3. gvaldeg1

gvaldeg1 New Member

Feb 8, 2008
    You're the quintessential example of why this is such a great forum. I've never seen a more helpful group anywhere on the internet. Joining this group is definitely a bonus to owning a P3AT.

4. xrmattaz

xrmattaz New Member

Sep 10, 2004
    Thanks Packer!

It must be the mag catch. Just called my dealer buddy, he'll just exchange the pistol, no worries.

If I seat the mag and press on the right side of the mag catch, it locks. Will not lock under normal conditions though.

5. xrmattaz

xrmattaz New Member

Sep 10, 2004
    Well, SOMETIMES the mag will lock in.  Trying now, can't get it to......no flash on the mag base.

Very interested in a steel mag catch though! Is that part easily replaced?

6. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    They are not particularly hard to replace. At this time, none are available anywhere. It's good that your friend will exchange the pistol. Probably a bad mag catch or possibly a warped grip.

7. Spook

Spook New Member

Sep 28, 2007
    my new p3at is doing the same thing, but only on one mag... the other 3 fit fine so im pretty sure its not the gun. crazy thing is thou the other p3at we have takes all 4 of them without a problem. maybe it was a friday mag.

8. guru2sum

guru2sum Active Member

Apr 30, 2005
    Mad City, Wisconsin
    When you put the magazine in, check where the bottom plate hits the grip.  Cut the magazine bottom plate back with a razor knife until the magazine goes in far enough to latch. You probably want to remove the bottom plate when you are trimming.

G2S

9. xrmattaz

xrmattaz New Member

Sep 10, 2004
    :)Simply exchanged the mag from another new P3AT, works fine now.

Where can I buy mag extensions?? Searching to no avail.....

10. tkc

tkc New Member

Oct 21, 2007
    I had that problem with one of my mags and tried trimming the flashing to no avail.  I finally got the dremel and lightly touched up the top of the hole in the mag to make the opening about .0005" higher.  It upset some people on this board when I mentioned that I did it but have had no problems since.  I do notice that sometimes the catch does not seat good with either mag but if I press up on the mag and press the catch on the right side of the catch it will lock into place and stay there.  Otherwise it becomes sensitive to the touch and may release in the holster or while shooting.

11. msrdiver1

msrdiver1 New Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Replacing the mag catch is easy enough. Please watch the video, YouTube, before trying. I found it helpful to work over an old white towel. That's how I kept finding the springs when I tried to reassemble everything.

The most frustrating part was the reassembly. pushing in on the hammer block while holding everything together took several attempts.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bn0iM06KhHw[/ame]
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoA4tb32UIs&feature=related[/ame]