Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased today, range trip planned tomorrow and was going to see if I had loading issues I’ve read about. Long story short when I load shorties or 2 3/4 it decides to eject them itself. It’s as if the little tab that holds them in isn’t aligned or something. Is this a know issue? Is there a fix? I’d like to take it tomorrow but right now it seems to be a moot point. Let’s hope the m1a tanker I bought yesterday too decided to play nice at least. Thanks for any and all help.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Just purchased today, range trip planned tomorrow and was going to see if I had loading issues I’ve read about. Long story short when I load shorties or 2 3/4 it decides to eject them itself. It’s as if the little tab that holds them in isn’t aligned or something. Is this a know issue? Is there a fix? I’d like to take it tomorrow but right now it seems to be a moot point. Let’s hope the m1a tanker I bought yesterday too decided to play nice at least. Thanks for any and all help.
Kel-Tec is known to parkerize the entire gun, inside and out. Most likely some parks are sticking together until worn smooth. I've had both the KSG and now have the KS-7 and they are parked. Check out the fluff and buff thread on the forum. You have a couple choices, send back to the mothership or do it locally.

·
Registered
412 Posts
This is almost always a symptom of the shell latches not being properly adjusted or sticking and is a factory defect.

Disassemble the gun fully per the owners manual.
Turn it upside down on the bench and load two rounds in the magazine........This is "safe-ER" because the barrel, bolt, and firing pin are out.
Put a cloth into the rear of the receiver to prevent shells ejecting out the rear onto the floor.

Slowly operate the action and notice that everything happens in the last 1/2 inch of rearward movement of the forearm and the last 1/2 inch of forward movement.
When the forearm contacts the left shell stop (the pointed stop) the shell in the magazine should be ejected out of the tube and the second shell should be held in place.
When the forearm is pushed fully forward, the right shell stop (the long lever) should operate and allow the next shell to move back a fraction of an inch.

If the shells stops are sticking or out of adjustment both or neither shell may eject from the tube.
If the stops are sticking, try flushing them with a cleaner like a "gun scrubber" or a liberal spray of alcohol.
Dry by warming with a hair dryer, (Note HAIR dryer, not torch or heat gun).
After fully dry apply your favorite gun lubricant. CLP Breakfree works well for this.

If the stops are not sticking, it's likely they were not assembled correctly at the factory, or the parts are bent or defective.
I STRONGLY recommend NOT trying to disassemble the stop assembly.
One, that voids your factory warranty, and two, the stop assembly is a BEAR to reassemble and I was a pro gunsmith.

The two small black spacers in the assembly are actually a hard plastic and an extremely tight fit on the pins.
It's almost impossible to get the pins back through the ultra tight spacers while also getting the pins and the spring in position.
Obviously Kel-Tec has a factory assembly fixture to do this, and without that reassembly is difficult to say the least.

If you do the test inspection as above, and the shells are not being properly retained and timed, I suggest returning the gun to the factory for a warranty repair.
Kel-Tec's site has a repair contact system to have them send you a shipping label to return it. They seem to be pretty fast at repairs and return.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did that almost to a t this morning before our trip to shoot. Unfortunately it didn’t seem to last long and shells were hitting my feet in short order. There are other issues as well, light primer strikes, shells getting stuck in the chamber after being fired. The list goes on. I sent an email off to keltec. I own alot of keltec stuff and have always read about issues and assumed most were user error ect. O well, did hit some clays for the hell of it when it would hold some shells in it (surprised me). I won’t shoot 3” double buck again. So I learned some things today anyhow. Now to order stuff to mitigate recoil when it comes back lol

·
Registered
412 Posts
As has been often discussed on this forum, recoil mitigation is best done by using Reduced Recoil shells and installing a more effective recoil pad.
Muzzle brakes have far less effectiveness on shotguns then on high pressure rifles, and in shotguns seem to be more a cosmetic appearance item.

Let us know how the warranty service work comes out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah the recoil pad is for sure getting done. Liked the look of the one that adapts a limbsaver. May throw a muzzle device for the heck of it. If it helps great if not I suppose it was cheaper than the salvo 12 or Rex selentium suppressors I’d like. Will follow up with warranty repair and findings.

·
Registered
130 Posts
If you think that 3" 00 buckshot is tough on the shoulder with a KS7, then you will probably conclude that 2 3/4" full power slugs are worse. I think they're worse, anyway. I have Kel-Tec's thicker butt pad and a limbsaver on my KS7 and a muzzle brake, and I think that full power slugs are so punishing that it might well affect the outcome of a self/home defense encounter. I haven't tried reduced power slug rounds, though.

·
Registered
Keltec KS7 owner
20 Posts
If you think that 3" 00 buckshot is tough on the shoulder with a KS7, then you will probably conclude that 2 3/4" full power slugs are worse. I think they're worse, anyway. I have Kel-Tec's thicker butt pad and a limbsaver on my KS7 and a muzzle brake, and I think that full power slugs are so punishing that it might well affect the outcome of a self/home defense encounter. I haven't tried reduced power slug rounds, though.
I'm thinking in a life / death situation, no one is thinking about recoil and ouch.
You will not feel any recoil during that confrontation, guaranteed..
After if you get through it? Yes but you'll be thankful you can feel it.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm thinking in a life / death situation, no one is thinking about recoil and ouch.
You will not feel any recoil during that confrontation, guaranteed..
After if you get through it? Yes but you'll be thankful you can feel it.
I discovered first-hand in qualifying that handguns chambered in .40 S&W are more difficult to shoot well than 9mm and .45 ACP. The wisdom on that is that the human body responds instinctively to the more abrupt and heavier recoil of the .40 S&W round. I'm thinking that what is true for handguns is also true for long guns.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts