Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

Mag releases when fired

3K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  Flacy 
#1 ·
I just purchased a used P3AT from a local gun shop. Took it to the range to try it out and the first few shots went off fine, but the 4th caused the mag to release and the next round didn't chamber. I gave it a good smack, pulled back on the slide to chamber another round and it released again. On average it releases about one out of every 3-4 shots. Since I'm using the standard mag I can hold it in place using my ring finger, but that's not how the gun is supposed to function. I have a new mag coming from Kel Tec to see if that fixes the problem. If not any suggestions?

#2 ·
Check your grip, sometimes you can push the mag catch without realizing it. I think it's more common on these small guns.

If you are sure that's not it then it's probably the mag catch and/or its spring. They aren't too hard to replace and it can be done without removing the frame if you have small needle nose pliers and picks or small screwdrivers. Wear some safely glasses if you DIY, I had the spring pop out and hit me in the eye when I changed one of mine.

The mag catch often wears because it's plastic and the mag is metal. If you press it when loading the mag it will reduce the wear and it will last a long time.

#5 ·
Was it purchased new or used. While, not a KT I had to change the mag release spring in my Kahr to stop the mag from backing out.
Read the first line of the OP's first post.

#6 ·
I just purchased a used P3AT from a local gun shop. Took it to the range to try it out and the first few shots went off fine, but the 4th caused the mag to release and the next round didn't chamber.......................... I have a new mag coming from Kel Tec to see if that fixes the problem. If not any suggestions?
Welcome to the KTOG forum. Good advice has been already given to you. The catch is probably the problem. Usually the excess wear is caused by users that unload and reload their magazines too often (sometimes several times per day). If you must check your magazine and chamber, press the release while inserting the mag. Obviously if doing a reload under duress you just slam it in there. I have personal KelTec pistols with thousands of rounds through them w/o replacing a catch.

#9 ·
Check your grip, sometimes you can push the mag catch without realizing it. I think it's more common on these small guns.

If you are sure that's not it then it's probably the mag catch and/or its spring. They aren't too hard to replace and it can be done without removing the frame if you have small needle nose pliers and picks or small screwdrivers. Wear some safely glasses if you DIY, I had the spring pop out and hit me in the eye when I changed one of mine.

The mag catch often wears because it's plastic and the mag is metal. If you press it when loading the mag it will reduce the wear and it will last a long time.
I made sure I wasn't touching the mag release button. I also used the standard mag and the extended mag and had the same problem with both. Are there any videos how to change the mag catch?

#14 ·
Thanks all

Thanks for all the input. I took the gun back to the shop I bought it from and they had one of their techs test it on their range. It was the mag catch. They are shipping the gun to Kel Tec and everything is free of charge. And it will be professionally handled by the manufacture which makes me feel much better about the outcome.

#17 ·
Magazine Drop ... Ditto

Reading this string prompted me to sign up to KTOG. I had the same problem, the mag was dropping "automagically." I made sure I was not touching the mag release button. So, I replaced the mag release and its spring but it still did this. Finally, I took the pinkie extension off the mag and replaced it with the original flat plate. Problem went away. No big deal, it hides better without the pinkie extension.

Don't know if this helps or not but thought I'd share.

#18 · (Edited)
Reading this string prompted me to sign up to KTOG. I had the same problem, the mag was dropping "automagically." I made sure I was not touching the mag release button. So, I replaced the mag release and its spring but it still did this. Finally, I took the pinkie extension off the mag and replaced it with the original flat plate. Problem went away. No big deal, it hides better without the pinkie extension.

Don't know if this helps or not but thought I'd share.
We have heard of this before. It is usually not a problem for most; but for some, due to how their hand fits the grip, there is undue pressure on the extension, combined with distortion of the polymer grip on firing that causes the problem.

#19 · (Edited)
Since the problem is solved, I'll join in with beating the dead horse. I'm among those who can't use the pinkie extension mag base, and I have to use the old fashioned cup & saucer hold with the 9 round mags to keep them from flexing and mis-feeding. And I had to replace the mag catch on my used P3AT also.

But it is still the slimmest, lightest .380 for pocket carry. It goes with me in summer time shorts & slacks.

#21 ·
Mag Releasing "Automagically"

I guess I should follow up to say that I sent my P3AT back to Kel-Tec for the "automagic" mag release problem and one other problem. It took 8 weeks but, unlike Taurus, when I got it back I didn't have to send it back again, it worked. She chewed up and spit out 8 different brands of ammo without a hitch. My little pocket rocket is back!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.