Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The P3-AT is reliable and accurate. So small and light-great! :) BUT, the magazine release button gets bumped and lets loose of the mag., in affect making it a single shot, until you realize :eek: whats happened and snap the mag up tight.

I sent it back to KT and they installed a heavier spring, which helped some, but still it occurs. Do any of you know of a pistolsmith that can either safely "recess" the button, or "build" something around the button to prevent accidental release?

G

·
arizona_hunter said:
The P3-AT is reliable and accurate. So small and light-great! :) BUT, the magazine release button gets bumped and lets loose of the mag., in affect making it a single shot, until you realize  :eek: whats happened and snap the mag up tight.

I sent it back to KT and they installed a heavier spring, which helped some, but still it occurs. Do any of you know of a pistolsmith that can either safely "recess" the button, or "build" something around the button to prevent accidental release?
PUt some masking tape around the grip area where the release button is at, and then just file down the button some, You can't hurt a thing that way.  IMO it does stick out alittle further than maybe needs to be. but I can tell you I have carried my 380 in a ron graham dahalia front pocket holstrer for over one year and it has NEVER poped out and I ride a harley with jeans 99% of the time, and I have never had to grind the release button down either, but that would be my next resort if it still continues especialy since kt has installed a new release and spring for you..Lots of ktogers do it....

jocko, who just chringes at telling anyone to "grind, file, bend" to their weapon ;D

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
  If you don't want to "cut" your mag release, and it sounds to me like you DON'T, there is another way. You can put a shim on the back of the mag.

Go to Lowes or Home Depot. Spend about $1.50 and get a short length of clear plastic corner protector. This is very thin and adhesive backed

Clean the back of the mag with rubbing alcohol..

With scissors, cut a piece about the width of the magazine back by 1 inch. Peel the adhesive strip and apply this to the bottom rear of the mag.

This will hold the mag in place until you deliberately pull it out. If you don't like it, just peel off the shim.

Packer.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
There are two likely causes of you mags popping out when you shoot.  Possibly, your thumb is  inadvertently hitting the mag release button with the shock of the recoil.  If this is the case, either change your grip or file the catch down.  It is longer than it needs to be.  This may be best done at the range.  File, test (shoot), file, test.  You can always remove more.  It's hard to put some back.  You should call KT and have them send you an extra mag catch with spring, just in case.  

Also, do not slam your mags in.  Depress the button BEFORE inserting.  The mag catch is plastic and the cutout on the metal mag tube is sharp.  It will eventually cut away at the plastic catch until it is easily disengaged and must be replaced.  If you have been slamming the mags in, you may have already shaved the catch.  If you can pull on the inserted mag and the catch holds, then you are hitting the release button when shooting and need to file it down some.  If you can yank the mag out without depressing the button, your mag catch is shot and needs replacement again. FWIW, Beach sells metal mag catches that resolve this issue.    

G

·
just taking care of ur plastic mag catch is all one needs to do. Slamming it home will indeed wear it down fast. NO NEED TO DO THAT. It is not a race gun. Mine has never came loose once and I have over 700 insertions in mine and it looks new. Abuse it and it will reward u with problems. Once it starts to wear, u must replace.

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Search me... That was a short KTOG career, but not the shortest. ;D

Maybe he was trying to change his profile and hit the delete user button at the bottom of the profile page by mistake. ???

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
Nah, he registered at 8:27 this morning. Looks like he got good advice so I don't know what's up. Who knows... ???

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I've had difficulty loggining in, I've been getting an "error" message, although now at 6:40 pm, it looks like it's fixed.

I've never had the mag. release while shooting. The only times are whne I'm carrying it. I often work alone in my small store so I often carry it in my pocket. For a holster I just use the black pouch it came with. Very often if I bump against something that's all which is needed to push that button enough to loosen the mag.

Sounds like using a file is the only way to go. Thanks for the input, I did try super gluing an o'ring around it, but of the two "supers" I tried neither would stick to the grips!

I'll keep experimenting too....

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
1. You must be a lefty.
2. You NEED a good pocket holster.
3. You could still file the mag release down a bit.
4. Glad you found your way back. 8)

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
Hey, AH! Welcome back! You can file it or sand it or even clip it a bit with cutting pliers. I use the shim. It's terrible to think about pulling a weapon when you NEED it and having the slide fall out.

Sort of like Ford Fairlane shooting his gun out of his trick wrist holster and into the BGs car--Only not funny.

Packer.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.