Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If many people are have the same problem with the mag release catches as is evident by the many postings, why does Kel-Tec not make a metal one as a replacement instead of having to constantly send out replacement polymer ones which eventually fail. If Breach can make metal ones that work, Kel-Tec can too or may they can buy from Breach. I carry a Sig P226 as my duty weapon and have never had to sand, polish, trim, or replace parts almost straight out of the box. I like my P-3AT but feel the quality could be a little better especially for an American made gun. I few tweaks here and there with Kel-Tec would greatly improve their reputation.

·
Banned
7,638 Posts
When KT stops selling guns faster than they produce them, THEN they mayl worry about their reputation. I hear what you are saying, but that's just the way it is.

Meanwhile, either press the mag release when inserting magazines, or buy one of Beach's wonderful metal mag catches.

Packer.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The first time I hold a Kel-Tec in my hands, the first thing I noticed was that indeed the piece might needed some sand, polish and trim done. I did not buy the piece, as I was very skeptical about it, but went home that evening and started looking for info. The only thing the gun shop owner advised me was that the gun was made in the USA and that they were selling fast in his gun shop.

At the moment, I was considering the Kahr PM9 ($560+), Rohrbaugh R9 ($900+), and the Kel-Tec P3-AT ( $275+). After a some reading, the skepticism got under control and decided to try it for myself and went and got a P3-AT. I experienced some troubles, but I am on my way to fix them myself, thanks to the advise given here.

I believe the quality is there , but if for the xtra sand, polish, trim and metal mag cathces Kel-Tec will charge xtra $$$, that will be something to consider.

And my HK USP 40 has not been under any sand, polish, trim, or replace parts. Straight out of the box has performed flawlessly, but it will be unfair to match them as they are two completely different guns. Not better or worst...just different...and I love my HK and I am already falling for the P3-AT...

G

·
jaam68 said:
... Not better or worst...just different... I am already falling for the P3-AT...
+1 jaam

I bought my 3AT with the understaning that I would probably become a wannabe gunsmith. That was actually one of the selling points for me.

It is not only a hobby I now have (playing with mods, polishing, tweaking etc... with the 3AT) but it is also a gun I do trust for self defense when one of my larger guns are not easily carried.

I would now rather do the stuff myself than pay some one else to do.

I just wonder how much KT would have to bump the price for the fluff and buff, alloy release, wonderfull 9 round mag, etc...?

BTW... I am one of the board members looking for my two alloy mag catches from Beach... XXX fingers crossed XXX.... hopefully today. I have not been able to carry my 3AT for the past week because of mags dropping.

·
Registered
8,991 Posts
Nu_Agin_Shooter said:
 I have not been able to carry my 3AT for the past week because of mags dropping.
Two words. Duct Tape. ;) ;D

Joking BUT as a work around, taping the mag in place will work.

Jim, who would rather carry with the mag taped in place than not carry at all.

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
Nu_Agin_Shooter said:
I bought my 3AT with the understaning that I would probably become a wannabe gunsmith. That was actually one of the selling points for me.
+1. One of the reasons I bought a P3, and now a P11, was to get comfortable doing some basic gunsmithing without the risk of damaging a high dollar firearm. I've noticed a lot of people complain about the tweaking and buffing they need to get a P3 work at apprx $275 per gun. Ironically, people shell out $600+ for 1911's when they know they will have to do the same amount of work, or more, to get it working smoothly and no one complains. I look at the work I do on my KT's as an opportunity to better understand firearms in general.

That said, I do wish KT made the mag catch out of metal.

G

·
RAT76 said:
...Jim, who would rather carry with the mag taped in place than not carry at all.
I have other options Jim. I like the kt and am trusting it now, but you know.......duct tape holster is one thing

.....but duct tape gun?......

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
As a gunsmithing project the P3AT is an excellent gun. For those who buy it primarily as a lifesaving tool the lack of quality control is cause for concern.

I still recommend the P3AT and the P32 to prospective buyers because there is nothing better that is so small and light. I only wish I didn't have to caution them about possible reliability issues.

·
Registered
42 Posts
more issues with the P3AT?? i am assuming its hit or miss as far as issues with this gun?? granted i know to F & B but even when i owned a p9 you could tell the craftsmanship doesnt hold up to other guns. (granted thats why you have to do mods and etc)... ever since i joined this site to try to determine which to buy the p32 or p3at i have read nothing but issues with p3at and a few with the p32.. i am not flamin kt by any means but the quality is hit or miss with these things

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
fatman said:
As a gunsmithing project the P3AT is an excellent gun. For those who buy it primarily as a lifesaving tool the lack of quality control is cause for concern.
I agree totally. I guess it's just that I don't trust any gun out of the box for self defense without a serious break in period, and generally a little tweaking. Since I've had three problem free (so far) KT's, my impression of them may be a little bit colored by it. You're right though, most people want, and deserve, a weapon that works without a lot of work.

G

·
mkgarrison5 said:
...   ever since i  joined this site to try to determine which to buy the p32 or p3at i have read nothing but issues with p3at and a few with the p32...i

MKG-
I think it may be the nature of this type board.

If you look at the total production of KT's vs the number of board members active at KTOG... KTOGERS are a small percent. I lurked around this board for awhile ...then bought my gun with the understanding that it may require some TLC. I don't think I posted until I had a problem. (Now I post because I am a full blown 3AT junkie!)

Obviously, the majority of KT owners do not seek out this board, particulaly if they are happy with their gun.

Just like the peening issue.........I have seen many post and pics of owners worried about peening when they have no obvious peening problem.

Overall I am happy with the quality of the gun, but I was very close at one point on giving up. I am glad I stuck with it.

BTW.... which one did you buy?.....the 3AT or the 32?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Nu_Agin_Shooter said:
MKG-
I think it may be the nature of this type board.

If you look at the total production of KT's vs the number of board members active at KTOG...  KTOGERS are a small percent.  I lurked around this board for awhile ...then bought my gun with the understanding that it may require some TLC.  I don't think I posted until I had a problem.  (Now I post because I am a full blown 3AT junkie!)

Obviously, the majority of KT owners do not seek out this board, particulaly if they are happy with their gun.

Just like the peening issue.........I have seen many post and pics of owners worried about peening when they have no obvious peening problem.

Overall I am happy with the quality of the gun, but I was very close at one point on giving up.  I am glad I stuck with it.

BTW.... which one did you buy?.....the 3AT or the 32?
yeah i know where you are coming from.. thats why i am on this site to see which gun i would want..... I HAVE NO IDEA ON WHICH ONE TO BUY LOL.. i am still in limbo.. the ONLY reason why i would buy a P3AT over the P32 is caliber size.. after comparing "issues" with both guns it seems like the 32 has less "issues" than the 380.. so i am leaning that way unless i get a good price on the 380 in which i have had a few pm's from guys wanting to sell their extra 380....

to me it makes sense that the 380 is having more issues than the 32 bc of the "hotter" load in a gun thats really made for a 32... as far as bullet goes i dont see much difference in the 32 and the 380 penetration wise..

G

·
mkgarrison5 said:
i have had a few pm's from guys wanting to sell their extra 380....
TO: guys wanting to sell

PM me with your offer to sell. I will pay at least a nickle more than garrison!

·
Registered
261 Posts
I am the owner of a 1st. gen P-32, I've had it for approx. five years and shot it less than 100 rounds so far (not nearly broken in yet). Now I'm not saying something won't go wrong with it but, it was and still is mechanically sound (I won't use the word flawless as it infers perfection, to me) right out of the box.

I did not do anything to prep it besides loading the mags and shooting it, cleaning was done after shooting and periodic "look see's" are done. It looks good, it feels good and it shoots good, I am pleased with it! This particular pistol just may be the exception to the rule, but I doubt it, there are probably lots of them out there.

I just bought a P-3AT and presume it to be just as sound as the P-32. However, it does have some minor finish issues and that will not effect function. K-T has been made aware of the cosmetic issues and I'm awaiting their response. Will I send it back for the cosmectics... no! I have field striped it many times looking to see if I can see or feel something wrong with it, comparing it to several posts indicating problems, so far so good.

The real test of course will be at the range and I am enthusiastic not apprehensive (if there is trouble I may be too embarrassed to share it with you though).

·
Registered
32 Posts
mkgarrison5 said:
yeah i know where you are coming from.. thats why i am on this site to see which gun i would want..... I HAVE NO IDEA ON WHICH ONE TO BUY LOL.. i am still in limbo.. the ONLY reason why i would buy a P3AT over the P32 is caliber size.. after comparing "issues" with both guns it seems like the 32 has less "issues" than the 380.. so i am leaning that way unless i get a good price on the 380 in which i have had a few pm's from guys wanting to sell their extra 380....

to me it makes sense that the 380 is having more issues than the 32 bc of the "hotter" load in a gun thats really made for a 32... as far as bullet goes i dont see much difference in the 32 and the 380 penetration wise..

I will suggest to get both and your problem is solved ;)

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Reliability is not just a P3AT issue. A friend of mine just got her 2nd gen. P32 barrel replaced after less than 1000 rounds. The barrel broke where the recoil spring guide seats. You never know what will happen next.

I always urge my friends to carry a second gun. Faster than a reload and if something breaks you still have a chance.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.