Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been having some trouble with my P3AT lately. While pocket carrying or while carrying in my ankle holster it tends to have the magazine randomly pop out. Also while shooting if I grip it too hard with my finger that is resting on the magazine(the part that sticks out of the bottom of the grip, i'm not using any kind of an extension) the magazine will pop out.

Is this normal and to be expected or is my mag catch wearing down? Would a new metal catch fix this and be more durable?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm right handed, I know i'm not hitting the button because I can make the pistol do it by gripping it hard with that finger that touches the magazine and with nothing anywhere near the button.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same here. Got a new mag catch and spring. Comparing the new and old catches, I couldn't see any significant wear on the original so I just replaced the spring which did seem to be contracted. Problem solved, no more mag releases. I wonder if this problem, which seems fairly common, isn't more a spring issue and less one of mag catches wearing out. I will say I'm usually careful to press the mag catch when I insert the mag, which is supposed to minimize the wear. In any event, make sure you get a spring at the same time if you're getting a new mag catch from KT.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If it helps any, i've noticed that not topping off the magazine seems to mostly eliminate this problem. It sucks to lose the "+1" but its better than having my mag pop out all the time. I'll see about getting a new spring and possibly a metal catch.

·
Registered
136 Posts
mgregg85 said:
If it helps any, i've noticed that not topping off the magazine seems to mostly eliminate this problem.  It sucks to lose the "+1" but its better than having my mag pop out all the time.  I'll see about getting a new spring and possibly a metal catch.
I would not even consider leaving a round out of my gun.

Make a call to Kel-Tec and they will mail you a new catch and spring immediately, at no charge. It is easy to replace the mag catch and you do not need to remove the frame from the grip to do it. it should only take you a very few minutes.

Billy

·
Registered
485 Posts
RCACFBilly said:
[quote author=mgregg85 link=1237251851/0#5 date=1237492792]If it helps any, i've noticed that not topping off the magazine seems to mostly eliminate this problem.  It sucks to lose the "+1" but its better than having my mag pop out all the time.  I'll see about getting a new spring and possibly a metal catch.
I would not even consider leaving a round out of my gun.

Make a call to Kel-Tec and they will mail you a new catch and spring immediately, at no charge. It is easy to replace the mag catch and you do not need to remove the frame from the grip to do it. it should only take you a very few minutes.

Billy
[/quote]

I agree with your opinion and your advice.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Not sure about the pocket holster, but check your ankle holster and where it meets the mag release. Sometimes the mag release is slightly below the leather line in the holster. Any pressure on the holster and it could mash against the release causing the mag to drop. I had a similar problem and fixed mine by notching a "v" into the ankle holster around the release button. No more problem.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Silver_Dollar said:
Had the same problem, replaced the mag catch twice and it still happened. Finally installed a metal mag catch and it hasn't happened since!
Where did you get the metal mag catch?  I LUV my P3AT but the plastic mag catch bugs the crap out of me even though it hasn't caused a problem....yet.

·
Registered
57 Posts
MadDogJohn said:
[quote author=Silver_Dollar link=1237251851/0#3 date=1237257855]Had the same problem, replaced the mag catch twice and it still happened. Finally installed a metal mag catch and it hasn't happened since!
Where did you get the metal mag catch?  I LUV my P3AT but the plastic mag catch bugs the crap out of me even though it hasn't caused a problem....yet.[/quote]

I'd like to know this too.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but how difficult is it to replace the mag catch? I'm not a gunsmith but I am somewhat mechanically inclined and would be willing to attempt it myself if it didn't involve taking the whole pistol apart. Also is it hard to replace the spring as well?

·
Administrator
32,240 Posts
It is a little tricky the first time but only because there is limited work space in the grip. Here, Beach demonstrates. He has removed the frame of the gun which makes it a little easier but is not absolutely necessary.

http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1201577117

·
Registered
35 Posts
I have a first generation with a Beach metal in it and have not had any problems with "premature ejection" since. (Sounds like he needs an ad in the back of a magazine or something.)  ;D  Someone who knows him needs to talk him into making another batch if he isn't still making them.  

·
Registered
160 Posts
Go to the trading post and look for DaveNC. He makes the metal mag, great quality. I bought one from him a couple months ago and no issues. It is really simple to remove the catch spring. Get a pair of hobby needle nose pliers, 4-5" and remove. Most seem to be a spring issue but I just wanted to get ride of the plastic catch.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.