Mag fit

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by kmunch, Nov 29, 2010.

1. kmunch

kmunch New Member

May 13, 2008
    I have a fairly new P3AT and noticed that the clip does not fit all the way into the mag well. It has an 1/8 in. space between the bottom of the mag well and the bottom of the mag. I can push it up and feel a spring type pressure but it comes back down the 1/8 in. It doesnt effect the way it fires but looks bad and I dont know if it will get worse. I was wondering if I have a problem with the mag catch? or the grip frame? any comments would be appreciated

2. iaminsider

iaminsider New Member

Nov 24, 2010
    I do not notice that issue at all with my standard mag. I just got a 9 rd mag in the mail so I do not know how that fits yet.

3. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    1/8" sounds like a lot. unfortunately i don't have my p3at with me this week to measure the gap, but i was thinking it was about 1/16 or 1/32. some folks have put an o-ring around the mag to look better (in their opion)

removing a magazine, especially fully load, by just pressing in the release can shave the plastic release. this usually shaves at a taper and thus the mag won't stay in, but i guess it could allow the mag to have a greater gap

the spring you feel pushing back down is the rounds being push deeper into the magazine when the top round contacts the bottom of the slide

4. kmunch

kmunch New Member

May 13, 2008
    I have a new mag catch do you think yhat would help

5. iaminsider

iaminsider New Member

Nov 24, 2010
    Netiher of my mags fit with that much of a gap. I think there must be something wrong with either your gun or mag.

6. kmunch

kmunch New Member

May 13, 2008
    When I wrote this my gun was in the car since then i looked again and the gap is closer to a 1/16

7. Represent316

Represent316 New Member

Nov 24, 2010
    1/16th of an inch dont sound bad. Id rather have a bit of a gap, Allowing me to seat the mag correctly, Then have the baseplate hitting the bottom of the grip frame, causing the mag not to catch, If that runon sentance makes any sence.

8. 3wbdriver

3wbdriver Moderator Staff Member

Nov 2, 2005
    Louisiana
    That small gap is normal. I do make it a practice to hold the mag button in when loading and removing my magazines. I obviously wouldn't worry about it in a crisis, but it saves wear on the catch in normal use.

9. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    since this one came back up while I was passing by home,

I measured my gap to be 0.032" ~1/32".  But that gap is unimportant.  

the importaint position for the magazine is with respect to the frame.  A simple check to ensure the magizine catch has not worn and thus positioning the magazine too low is to:
        remove the barrel/side
        insert one round into the magazine
        insert magazine into grip/frame untill it catches
        pull down on magazine to simulate the slide pushing the round down (ie get the magazine as far out as catch normally does)
    the rim of the round in the magazine should be flush (or sightly proud) with the top of the frame rail.

You can use the rim of a round sitting across the frame rail (top of the ejector)

10. TnRebel1

TnRebel1 New Member

Jul 13, 2010

Now there's your problem .... your trying to put a clip where a Magazine goes .... naw that is how mine fits.