Mag falls out on occasions

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Reeks, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Reeks

Reeks New Member

Nov 19, 2008
    I been having a problem with my magazine falling out on occasions.  I thought that I was accidently pushing in the button when firing but I switched grips and still falls out.  I even had my bro shoot it and within 10 shots it fell out.  I love this little gun but can't rely on it.  I only have 300-400 rounds through it and always push in the button when inserting ;)  It is probably the catch I would say because it does this will all my mags.  (stock plate, bersa pinky ext).  Is the catch hard to change?  Will KT send some free or do they charge to those? Is this normal for the catch to go so soon?  this sux.

2. Bluetiger

Bluetiger New Member

Dec 6, 2008
    Why the "you are not allowed access to this section" message at the link for the metal mag catch. I want one.

3. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    Forum rules, you need to have 25 posts to access the Trading Post threads.

Rick

4. downhill

downhill New Member

Jul 2, 2008
    If your mag catch isn't DOA, it will fail soon. I put the steel catches in both my guns and it fixed the problem for good. I love these guns, but it's aggrevating that KT doesn't fix such an obvious problem.

5. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    Sometimes, the monkeys in the gunshop don't know any better, and beat the crap out of the mag catch before you ever get it home. Call KT, ask for service, and they will send you a new one for free. It isn't hard to install.

Good for you to test your firearm before you rely on it for carry. It is a mechanical device after all, and they all can fail.

6. P-3aT_ShoTTer

P-3aT_ShoTTer New Member

Feb 5, 2008
    Forum rules, you need to have 25 posts to access the Trading Post threads.

Rick
    [/quote]

somthing that I don't necessarily agree with

7. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    Stick around a while and you will see why it isn't such a bad idea.

8. P-3aT_ShoTTer

P-3aT_ShoTTer New Member

Feb 5, 2008
    the plastic catches are extremely weak and are prone to filure either you can replac eit with a metal one and forget about it or you can call Kel-tec and get a replacement that will eventually fail aswell.

9. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005
    They are prone to failure for people who insist on smacking the mag into the well like they do on their 1911 race guns.  If you just bother to learn just to hold the catch when inserting/removing a mag, they will last a long, long time.  I have the original mag catch in my early-2004 P-3AT and it looks like new when removed.  Any mechanical part will eventually fail - no new news there.  If you can't handle learning to use it properly, maybe you should just buy something else.  

10. goodbrewing

goodbrewing Active Member

Oct 2, 2008
    If you are thinking about a metal catch and get any contact from a 2 pistol packer go to Feedback and Announcements and read the thread titled My Certified Letter to Packer... Just a heads up.

11. Cortty

Cortty New Member

Aug 9, 2008
    My catch failed because of the bearsa base plate. It puts extra downward presure that causes damage to the top of the catch. I installed new catch and removed the base plate and all is good. In my limited experience I belive it's best to leave mags stock.

12. adamsesq

adamsesq New Member

Dec 25, 2006
    Brent - the limitations on the trading post for new members is for the protection of both the buyer and the seller around here.  Skirting those rules is not likely to end well for any of us.

And +1 to PG.  The catches work just fine if you use them appropriately.  I like metal mag catches because they are more forgiving and feel a little bit extra secure with them.  But there is nothing wrong with the plastic ones if you learn to use the weapon as designed.  Note that buying a metal catch costs about $40.00 (although there are now a couple/few people making them so maybe the price will fall a bit.)  If you added that much to the base price of the gun it would hurt a lot of sales I believe.  Granted KT might be able to get them mass mfg'd for something less than that, but it would still increase the cost of the gun and would likely hurt their market share.

-Scott

13. bensin2

bensin2 Guest

I deleted my post and sent you a PM.

Thanks,
    Brent

14. Reeks

Reeks New Member

Nov 19, 2008
    Thanks for the info

15. pedro

pedro New Member

May 28, 2008
    Does anybody have experience with sand casting. I would imagine that making a mold of the factory mag catch then casting them in sand, or even die casting would produce a perfect mag catch that required little to no "fine tuning"

16. Reeks

Reeks New Member

Nov 19, 2008
    That seems like that would that a lot of prep time and still you would have so much trial and error. Good luck for whomever tackles that one.

17. pedro

pedro New Member

May 28, 2008
    But could you imagine just how many catches could be cast at the same time. If somebody could produce a mold and successfully cast them I could see selling them for $5-$10 a piece. Then posts like "my magazine keeps falling out" could become a thing of the past.

If only I had some knowledge of mold making and sand casting I'd be all over this. Heck I might just try and build myself a backyard aluminum foundry and give it a shot.

18. JB-Norcal

JB-Norcal New Member

Jan 24, 2006
    There are many catch options currently in the Trading Post.

19. pedro

pedro New Member

May 28, 2008
    For some, $40 is a bit expensive for such a simple and small part.