Mag falling out

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by chiefjason, Sep 29, 2009.

1. chiefjason

chiefjason New Member

Jun 9, 2009
    This issue has been plaguing me for a while. And with the ammo short I cannot get to the range to figure it out. I have done some serious fluffing and buffing to help with break in. I have narrowed the issue down to one mag, so at least I am comfortable the gun will operate with one of my mags.

The mag with the problem kicks out of the gun when I try to chamber the first round into the empty chamber. As the slide goes into battery the mag just pops out about 1/4 inch. Sometimes I cannot even get the mag inserted and secure. I have tried to -1 the mag and no help. Also it's I'm not hitting the mag release. I have tried to measure both, and they seem the same. Anyone experience this? I believe it is the extra mag I bought that is the problem. Would really like to fix it to carry the extra mag.

I finally got some .380 ammo so I hope to get to the range to test it thoroughly soon. It concerns me that the mag will jump out while I am carrying it. Thanks.

2. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    I guess you've compared the mags side by side to make sure the notches in the front of the mag where it catches on the mag release are cut in the same place and the same dimensions, so, I would call KT and get a new mag release. It could be that your mag release is worn. It's important to depress the mag release when inserting the mag. Still, the mag release can wear a bit every time a mag is inserted.

3. one_gun

one_gun New Member

Jan 17, 2007
    Check for plastic flashing around the bottom of the grip where the mag. goes . Also check around the bottom edge of the mag. where it meets the gun when inserted. Been lot of problems over the years in those areas. Check for old threads on this same issue.:-/

4. RangerNDog

RangerNDog New Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Mine does the same thing but only when first inserting it. It will pop out about 1/8-1/4 inch but if I push it all the way up and then push on the other side of the mag release it will lock. I have never had it pop out while cambering or on its own. I just thought it was part of the gun breaking in. Guess I will have to research it a lil more.

5. chiefjason

chiefjason New Member

Jun 9, 2009
    I have checked them side by side. They appear and even measure to be the same. Mag release has been replaced. I sanded the mags where they touch the bottom of the mag well. I did some searching and tried all the stuff that was listed. The one mag is still a problem. Undoubtedly it is some problem with that mag I am missing.

The problem mag will occasionally seat right if forced. But then pops out as I try to chamber a round. I will probably take it back to the shop where I bought it and see if they will swap it out. If not I'll be buying another mag.

I really want the metal mag release so I don't have to worry about the plastic one wearing out. The first one wore out in about 6 mths with very little range time. Though I was not depressing it as I inserted the mag either. I am doing that now.

Thanks for the ideas.

6. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    You can call KT and tell them what the mag is doing and request a new mag from them.