mag extension...don't look right to me.

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by slomo, Jan 14, 2011.

1. slomo

slomo New Member

Dec 21, 2010
    I just stopped by the store where I bought my P3AT and they had a mag extension for me although I thought I had ordered a "pinky ext." The guy there offered to put it on and I'm glad I let him. In a way, that is, because although it gave him some trouble, I probably wouldn't have been able to do it at all. The part that bothers me is at the rear of the extension, there is a square piece of metal that sticks out and sometimes catches on the rear of the mag well. It seems that this piece should go INSIDE the extension. Is that correct? Thanks in advance.
    slomo

2. Paper_Killer

Paper_Killer New Member

Jan 9, 2011
    That piece should be outside of the extension just like it is already installed. I tried placing mine internally and it just wouldn't fit properly. Besides when you think about it if it were on the inside it could catch the mag spring. I agree it is kind of an eyesore but it does function.

3. slomo

slomo New Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Yeah, I have to agree. I actually tried it with it INside the mag and it seems to be what the mag "button" uses to hold its place. Like you said, it's unsightly but functional. Kel Tec ain't known for their charming good looks, eh?
    Thanks for the input.
    slomo

4. dirksterg30

dirksterg30 New Member

Apr 24, 2008
  5. Represent316

Represent316 New Member

Nov 24, 2010
    Great link, Thanks. I just looked, And mine must be an older one because the L plate isnt beveled. Looks like its time to get out the dremel again. ;)

6. dirksterg30

dirksterg30 New Member

Apr 24, 2008
    If you call Kel-Tec, they might send you the part for free. It's worth a shot.

7. Represent316

Represent316 New Member

Nov 24, 2010
    Nah Ill let keltec spend thier time elseware, Lol. They got enough on thier plate that i dont feel i need to bug them about an issue i can fix. I got my dremel out the other day, unloaded the mag and removed the slide from the gun. Putting pressure on the bottom of the grip [It took alot of pressure, but could be done.] i could get the unbeveled "L" plate to bind when inserting the magazine. I used the straight fluted grinding bit on my dremel and beveled both parts. Now with EXTREME pressure on the end of the magazine, It slides in like butter. No waiting, just 5 minutes with the dremel.