Mag Extension Difficulties.  Help!

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by foundatown, Sep 28, 2009.

1. foundatown

foundatown New Member

Aug 14, 2009
    Does anyone have any experience with the factory +1 magazine extensions? I bought two today and had a helluva time getting them on. When I finally did get them installed, however, and loaded the magazines with 7 rounds I couldn't get the mags to fit into the gun! There was too much resistance!

Any help would be appreciated.

2. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008
    Re: Mag Extension Difficulties.  Help!

Pull it apart and check to make certain the spring is in the right way. Second, check the fit. If it's off just a bit, the follower will catch on the edge and won't go down into the extension. I had to smooth out the edges on one of mine with my dremel to get it to work. Sadly, some fitting tends to be the norm. It's worth it though. I have one on my P3AT and my LCP. I also had to cut 1 1/2 links off the spring, sand down the base of the follower about 1/32-1/16, and sand the sides of the follower just enough for it to move freely in the mag. Each one takes a little fitting to get it to work. Hope this helps.

3. ericire12

ericire12 Guest

My guess is the spring was put back in wrong.

4. foundatown

foundatown New Member

Aug 14, 2009

Thanks, Grand Poobah. I went back and reassembled the mags with the +1 extensions again last night, having just as hard of a time the second time around, and then rammed them home. They fit, but you've gotta apply more force when seating them than I was expecting. I guess I was just being too gentle with my 'baby'. After putting the magazines in and and pulling them out a couple of times, though, they became easier to insert into the gun.

My verdict on the Kel-Tec +1 magazines extensions, having not fired the gun with them on it yet: They seem to rock, but there's a very definite and difficultly acquired technique to getting them fixed onto the magazines. Patience is key if you don't want to end up royally ****ed. Also, Grand Poobah's fixes, especially removing a link or so from the spring, seem very much a possibility for me even at this point. 7 rounds fit in the mags, but they are very, very tightly packed in there.

I feel like my P-3AT has a Uzi-like quality now with the butt sticking out. :) Is that ridiculous? Haha!

5. vn6869

vn6869 New Member

Jul 31, 2009

Must've been my problem. I just couldn't get it to work, but didn't play with the spring.
    I just gave up. Actually liked the little gun without it.
    But will try again now I know what did wrong. With my spare mags. ;)

6. Rubb

Rubb New Member

Jun 19, 2006
  7. billjohnso20

billjohnso20 Active Member

Dec 7, 2008

That's the link I was looking for the other day but couldn't find it. I used it when I installed mine. It saved me a lot of grief.

8. CJP32

CJP32 Active Member

Jul 24, 2008

+1 to this link.

I needed to file the +1 mag ext. and the rear area of the mag well (near the hammer spring) before the +1 mag would fit everytime.

CJ

9. foundatown

foundatown New Member

Aug 14, 2009

Kudos, CJP32. So far my mags with the new extensions are now seating properly, but I think I detect slight resistance when the follower meets the extension (if indeed it does upon insertion) and when that metal insert on the bottom of the mag meets the plastic area on the handle near the hammer spring catch. Filing might be in order just to make sure the mag would seat properly every time when inserted even quickly and clumsily. Thinking about it. Might run some reload drills to test things out before deciding on surgery. :)

10. abuck50

abuck50 New Member

Aug 21, 2008
    NW Ohio

Mine fit perfectly and work like a dream! Either I am good or lucky. LOL

Craig

11. streetprowler

streetprowler New Member

Nov 29, 2004

I had a difficult time putting the +1 on my mag as well. It just takes patience and finesse. Unfortunately, I have little of either...

Rubb, regarding your sig: "You mean the movie lied?"

12. Checker4Tix

Checker4Tix Active Member

Aug 6, 2007

I'd never seen that link before. Thanks for sharing.

I have +1 extensions on all 6 of my P3AT mags. Never had a problem with them of any sort. Once you get the kinks worked out I'm sure you will like them too.

Just my $0.02, but I would resist cutting the spring down. Beveling the edges of the follower makes sense though.

13. camoxjeep

camoxjeep New Member

Mar 25, 2009

I bought one the other day and the small metal part was square and not rounded on the end to go into the extension part. Had a helva time getting it together. I rounded the end with a file and now fits and works perfect.

14. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005

Look HERE for a thread I did on getting the +1 extensions right.

15. Rubb

Rubb New Member

Jun 19, 2006

[smiley=thumbsup.gif] yep. it sure did ;D

[smiley=smiley_down.gif] click the sig  [smiley=smiley_down.gif]

16. streetprowler

streetprowler New Member

Nov 29, 2004

Heh. Sa-weet!