mag catch replacement

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by yardbird2, Dec 5, 2009.

1. yardbird2

yardbird2 New Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Can someone Please help me with information to replace my mag catch? any info would be appreciated!!!!!   thanks.    Yardbird2 :eek:

2. Bobo

Bobo Active Member Supporter

Jun 13, 2005
    It's not really hard. I ordered a spare spring and catch from Kel-Tec just in case it didn't work out well - I didn't need them. Now I have some more free spare parts.

Beach shows how to do it here:
    http://www.ktog.org/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?num=1201577117

Beach's directions include removing the frame. I was able to accomplish the task without removing the frame.

You will need a curved hemostatic forceps (just like the one Beach shows). You should be able to get a pair of these at a well-stocked hardware store or possibly a Lowes, Home Depot, Harbor Freight, or even online.
    ( http://www.atlanticmedsupply.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=232&cat=Forceps )
    They are about $7. They come in really handy for a lot of things. I have a curved pair and a straight pair 5-1/2" long.
    Although they are a bit bigger and clumsier and you can't clamp them, a pair of curved long-nosed pliers may also work OK.

It's easier than it seems (it took me less than 10 minutes).
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Removing old catch:

1. Remove the magazine.

2. Unload the chamber.

3. Pull out the assembly pin and remove the slide.

4. Remove the ejector so it doesn't fall out and get lost.

5. Looking inside at the catch from the top/rear, the spring is clearly visible. You can see this easily with a light shined in from the top toward the catch.

6. The bottom of the right (straight) leg of the spring is in a channel in the right side of the frame. Pop it out of the channel with a small screwdriver.

7. Reach in with the hemostat and clamp it onto the spring. The top (bent part) of the spring is under a channel in the frame. Push downward and at the same time pull toward you to get the spring out of the top channel.

8. Once the spring is free from the top channel pull the spring up and out of the catch.

9. Slide the old catch out of the grip.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

Installing new catch

10. Clamp the hemostat on the STRAIGHT leg of the spring near the top.

11. Slide the new catch into the grip.

12. Hold the catch all the way to the right.

13. Insert the CURVED leg of the spring into the small hole in the top of the catch.

14. Make sure the spring is down in the hole far enough so the bent top of the spring will have room to fit below the top channel of the frame. At this time just put the spring into the hole, don't try to slip it up into the top channel of the frame.

15. Release the spring from the hemostat.

16. Hold the catch as far to the left as possible.

17. Clamp hemostat onto the STRAIGHT leg of the spring just above the middle of the leg as close to the end of the hemostat's jaws as possible.

18. Pop the bottom of the straight leg of the spring into the right channel of the frame (you may have to pop it out of the hemostat and into the channel at the same time). This is the trickiest part. I was lucky and got it on the first try.

19. Insert a small screwdriver up through the bottom of the magazine well.

20. With the blade of screwdriver inside the bent top of the spring, push the spring up tightly into the top channel of the frame.

That's it - you did it!

Bobo

3. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    Thanks for instructions
    This is now in the FAQ/VIP

4. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    First time for me was a little awkward; was rather easy the 2nd and 3rd time. This was with removing the frame. Have not tried the non-frame removal method. You can do it!!

Good luck...

5. yardbird2

yardbird2 New Member

Aug 5, 2009
    thanks for the help ::), I will be trying it soon!!!!!!!!! i'll let you know how it goes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  [smiley=dankk2.gif]

6. BillK

BillK New Member

Jul 23, 2007
    :)Thanks for the inspiration. If it weren't for your post I wouldn't now have a metal catch in my carry P3AT. Finally, after many months, "found time" to get down to the basement workshop and get er done. Looks good too as I polished up the ends of the catch which makes them match fairly closely the looks of my HC slide.

Take care...

7. RutNut

RutNut New Member

Oct 30, 2009
    So they are METAL now? When did they change them? I have a first generation P3AT that already had one replacement catch and probably will need another soon.

8. Sangueffusor

Sangueffusor New Member

May 13, 2007
    Indiana
    No, they are not, but DaveNC sells metal mag catches in the Trading Post, which you need to have 25 posts to view.

9. burley

burley Active Member

Nov 26, 2006
    Kansas
    Here is a vid of an ol KTOGer doing the mag catch install (Beach -also the first guy making metal catches if memory serves right [I had one , it went to another KTOGer ] miss seeing both of ya on here ) After seeing him do it, took me 30 sec 1st try. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoA4tb32UIs&feature=PlayList&p=EDA7E084143C8FFE&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=2[/ame]

10. RutNut

RutNut New Member

Oct 30, 2009
    No, they are not, but DaveNC sells metal mag catches in the Trading Post, which you need to have 25 posts to view.[/quote]

OK- guess I have to make a bunch of posts today! ;) ;D

11. Little_Z28

Little_Z28 New Member

Jun 24, 2009
    I put a stainless catch in mine from DaveNC..  Great guy to deal with, and they fit really well.  Like the other guys said, you don't need to remove the frame to do it.  Just some good lighting and a pair of tweezers worked for me.  Unfortunately I destroyed the tweezers between my to guns and had to throw them away, but it was $1.00 that saved me from tearing the hole frame apart.  It's not as intimidating as it sounds.

12. Speedyfish

Speedyfish New Member

Mar 7, 2009
    Trading Post? Thanks, I couldn't figure out why I couldn't find it!

13. SAMTU_Ray

SAMTU_Ray New Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Thanks for the great instruction...took 3 minutes but I did away with the whole grab and push back in thing and simply slid it back into place.

Always great info here!

14. RJTravel

RJTravel New Member

Dec 4, 2009
    I have only about 100 rounds thru my recent 3AT. Not experienced any problem whatsoever, but is it typical that I would have mag catch problems soon and need to replace?
    Tnx,
    Richard

15. Little_Z28

Little_Z28 New Member

Jun 24, 2009
    Just push the release in when inserting magazines and you'll be okay for a long time. Most people that have trouble don't push the release in, and the top corner of the magazine chews the plastic release away.

16. SAMTU_Ray

SAMTU_Ray New Member

Jan 20, 2008
    From what I've read and seen on my PF-9, yes. Every time you insert or eject a magazine, the metal magazine wears on the plastic catch. It's a free parts upgrade with a call to Kel-Tec that only took a few minutes to do *without* removing the frame.