Made a Kydex Pocket Holster

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by jbabbler, Mar 3, 2009.

1. jbabbler

jbabbler New Member

Dec 27, 2008
    This was my first try and playing around with Kydex but I'm pretty pleased with the results. If you look at the trigger guard area you'll see where I cut it out enough to get my hand around the grip and left a piece sticking out at the bottom so that I could rip the holster off the gun once I draw it and throw it to the side. It also acts as a hook so that if I draw back from my pocket it will strip the holster as well.

The Kydex is very thin and light. It adds no noticable thickness to the gun and is molded close enough that I can turn it upside down & shake it and the gun won't fall out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Brewster6514

Brewster6514 Active Member

Jun 10, 2006
    not a good idea, should be able to leave the holster in your pocket when you draw. you are asking for all kinds of problems if you draw and forget to take it off in the heat of a confrontation.
    holster is nice though.  :cool:

3. jbabbler

jbabbler New Member

Dec 27, 2008
    not a good idea, should be able to leave the holster in your pocket when you draw. you are asking for all kinds of problems if you draw and forget to take it off in the heat of a confrontation.
    holster is nice though.  :cool:
    [/quote]

Thank you sir  ;)

Should I put a more severe "hook" so that I can make sure it grabs the seam of the pocket? I wonder if that would help. Right now the gun comes out of the holster when I draw rearward allowing the small hook to grab the back seam of the pocket but if it doesn't for some reason, I can strip the holster off by hand very easily. The only way I saw to make sure it would do it 100% of the time was to make it bigger. This wasn't a good option to me since my pants are all different styles with different size pockets.

The wallet holsters I've seen are similar it that respect. Some of those allow you to fire with it in the holster but I didn't want that. I wanted the trigger guard shielded at all times. I wore it out today and it doesn't print more than the gun does w/o it. If anything, it masks the shape of the gun.

Your comments and critique are 100% welcome so if you have any ideas please let me know. :)

4. trekgod3

trekgod3 New Member

Feb 28, 2006
    Jupiter,FL
    From looking at your pics, it looks like you molded it with the smooth side facing out. I made all of mine with the rough side out and smooth side in. The smooth side will be gentler on the gun's finish and the rough side will keep the holster in your pocket a little better.

5. jbabbler

jbabbler New Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Yeah, I made a few for my other guns with the pattern side out. I made this one a little looser on the gun so I wanted a little bit of grip on the inside. Since it's in my pocket the gun won't bounce up and down. This is more of a trigger guard than anything.