Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
I shoot it but not out of the RFB. I use a POF P-308. It groups about a half inch with that. Similar in performance to FGMM with 168 SMKs. Just a heavier pill so beats wind drift a little better although drops quicker.

·
Registered
RFB18 (Gen1) RDB17 (1:9 )
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
*Tsk tsk*..Always gotta bring an AR in an RFB forum.
Anywho..I have 3 *not* 2k+ Rifles im going to shoot this in.

RFB.
Stg58
Hk91 clone.

Interested to see what I get.

Fal does about 1.5moa (2moa 20 rnd group) with Magetec Sniper (1.3 with Hornaday black) and I found these at the same price per round as those.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I have a FAL built on an old Entreprise type 3 receiver using Imbel parts. I had it put together by Mark Graham over at Arizona Response Systems. The barrel which came with the parts kit has a very nice and shiny chrome-lined bore with crisp rifling. I doubt it was fired much. To my surprise, that FAL shoots about 1.5 MOA as well with Magtech sniper (which is pretty much GMM, just a lot cheaper). I say surprising because the twist rate should favor pills weighing less than 150gr.

I never had much luck getting less than 2 MOA on most days with my RFB. I did have a few 1.5 to 1.7" groups using FGMM, and once with American Eagle M1A if memory serves.

Now that you remind me, I found random boxes of M118 stashed in weird places in my garage the other day lol

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Why are ya hiding the good stuff from yerself :p

I mean..I have 1inch 5 shot groups from my FAL..but NOTHING under that lol. Not like its built to be that accurate anyways.(I built mine on a DSA receiver back when they were these needed really undersized locking shoulders.)

Shot the RFB with a 3x optic and did around 1.5 averaging between (2) 5 shot groups with the Magtec.I Probably should try with a higher power optic to see if I can shrink them as much as the guy in the DMR thread (his 2 sub moa groups were 0.85)

·
Registered
344 Posts
That's very impressive for a FAL. What optic?

As for mine, I bought two Entreprise type 3 receivers back in the early 90s. One I built myself using an Austrian STG-58 parts kit when they were like 150 bucks each (I miss those days). The other I kept stripped and forgot about it until a year ago. I came across an ad for EX+ Imbel parts kits from a now defunct retailer named Sarge's Surplus. They were selling for $550 for hand select, matching serials. So I bought one and had it built by ARS. They did a great job on it.

Not sure how familiar you are with whole FAL receiver debacles some years back, but Entreprise was never highly regarded. There was always a chance if getting something out of spec. I guess I lucked out because I never had any barrel timing issues when I put the STG together. Took a standard 1.635 locking shoulder as well. According to Mark at ARS, no such problems with my new build either. Actually, the only complaint I have is that the charging handle slot in the receiver seems oversized, like they cut it for an inch pattern CH instead of a metric once. As a result, my CH wobbles a little bit, but doesn't impede function.

Back to the optic question, I now run a DSA picattiny top cover. I had a scope on it once but the low cheek riser height in the old school stocks made it uncomfortable to use for long periods. I ended up throwing a red dot on it and left it as is.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Primary Arms 4-16X40 SFP. (This has since been replaced for a FFP *OVERKILL 5-35x50 :D..But tbh..thats the only gun I had long enough for that scope...)

Didn't have the Aluminum handguard or the Magpul PRS Stock back then. It did have an SA 58 X series with an Ar Cheek riser electrical taped to the stock. Worked well and certainly lighter.. Gun Firearm Trigger Rifle Gun accessory
.. Never did shoot it with the Bipod (that woulda been bad). Just stuck the gun on a rest right infront of the mag (Still on the receiver)

Attachments

·
Registered
344 Posts
That's nice. Who made the handguard?

Any problems getting the recoil spring tube into the PRS?

How much does it weigh as currently configured? I've been eyeballing a DSA 18" Congo para. But I need another gun like I need a hole in the head...

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually that's one of DSAs hangaurds.

No problems with the Recoil spring. I have a "modified" tool I use to compress the spring and turn the screw.

Well..Its not light. At 13 lbs most of the added weight comes from:
The Stock (36 oz vs SA58 X @ 7oz)
Handguard (9 oz vs 6.4oz Polymer handguard)
Scope Covenant 7 5-35x50 (28oz W/Mount) vs PA 4-16x40 (24oz W/mount)

My RFB is lighter at 11lbs With a Scope,light brake and blast deflector.

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
I shoot it but not out of the RFB. I use a POF P-308. It groups about a half inch with that. Similar in performance to FGMM with 168 SMKs. Just a heavier pill so beats wind drift a little better although drops quicker.
Oh man I have been.looking at the pof p415. Saw a torture test 10,000 rounds in an hour and another iv8888 2737
rounds still rocking. But that price tag. I already have an AR and my RDB. Anyway I digress from the keltec way.

Looking into an RFB now .

·
Registered
344 Posts
Oh man I have been.looking at the pof p415. Saw a torture test 10,000 rounds in an hour and another iv8888 2737
rounds still rocking. But that price tag. I already have an AR and my RDB. Anyway I digress from the keltec way.

Looking into an RFB now .
My POF was a POS out of the box. It wouldn't cycle properly suppressed or unsuppressed. It had to go back to Arizona along with my silencer where they had it for almost 3 months. When I got it back, they only replaced the ejector and extractor spring but it was still cycling too quickly. I removed the factory 3oz buffer and spring and replaced with a Sprinco Orange and a Slash heavy carbine buffer that weighs 7.8oz. Runs like a top now, but I was pissed that they didn't actually solve the gas issue by drilling out a gas plug with custom ports based on my suppressor.

They said they oversize to ensure cycling with weak ammo. It was over gassed with Tula 150gr lol.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well..I shot it this weekend..This round didn't really like any of the rifles I shot it out of.
Different rifles..Different price points and even different glass..None really shot this all that well.The SCAR target was a 10 round shoot off between myself and the owner of the Scar..Not pictured (but I can post it if ya want) but his target was a 3" group..

Almost got a 1.5inch group but my 5th shot opened the group up...oh well (Subsequent groups didnt do any better..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts