Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whelp, there goes a chunk of my tax refund for next year... :D

I like playing with my Glock 21 with the conversion barrel, but the grip's still a honkin' huge 2x4 of a grip. The Springfield XDM in 10mm isn't much of an alternative, since it has a hugely tall bore axis and the whole gun just feels weird. And 10mm 1911's never quite jived with me because 1911's are fussy enough, already, without adding the huge variety of differently-powered 10mm loadings to the equation, not to mention most 10mm 1911's are NOT cheap. And ditto for the big Sig Sauer 10mm's - SUPER expensive (and big).

An M&P in 10mm, though ... built on basically the .45 ACP frame, which is only just a smidge thicker/bigger overall than the 9mm/.40 S&W frame ... now THAT is something I would enjoy shootin'. Range toy? Heck yeah! BBQ gun? Absolutely! Home defense? Ehhhhh ... maybe. (Over-penetration would be a secondary concern to complete and total hearing destruction with that caliber. Might as well stick with a rifle/shotgun.) Concealed carry? Well ... not for me (10mm ain't a city-approved caliber, unfortunately), but maybe for others, sure. Again, wide selection of power levels for 10mm - everything from .40 S&W equivalent all the way up to nuclear. :)

Now, if only someone would make a 10mm carbine that takes the same M&P magazines... :D

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
I'm already thinking this would make a great carry gun for in the woods too. I've got one in 9mm and it's great. It's always nice to have more options

·
Registered
6,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As much as I love the feel and shootability of the M&P platform, I wish they had the modularity of the P320 platform and the aftermarket support of ... well, pretty much ANY Glock model. While I'm sure this 10mm M&P will be a quality shooter by all means, and I definitely do want one, I also don't expect that it's going to be sooooooo popular that it's going to get a lot of aftermarket support with things like barrel options or mag extensions or anything else, and it already doesn't have the option to poke on different grip frames and such. If only Sig would make a 10mm and/or Glock would make a modular-platform pistol setup ... or, better yet, Ruger or Kel-Tec or ..?

·
Registered
178 Posts
As much as I love the feel and shootability of the M&P platform, I wish they had the modularity of the P320 platform and the aftermarket support of ... well, pretty much ANY Glock model.... If only Sig would make a 10mm and/or Glock would make a modular-platform pistol setup ... or, better yet, Ruger or Kel-Tec or ..?
I know this isn't what you had in mind, but Ruger did make a 'modular-platform' of sorts - it was referred to as their "P-series" line of aluminum-frame pistols. You won't find more than a hint or two about it on the internet, but a heck of a lot of the parts interchange (with maybe a few minor modications required). As a result, it's possible to swap calibers (.30 Luger, 9mm Luger, .40 S&W, .45ACP and .400 Cor-Bon), and even change from full-size slide & barrel to compact, all on a single frame. The components I've used (except for the .400 CB barrel) are all Ruger factory parts, from their P85, P89, P90, P91 and P95.

FWIW, YMMV, "no guarantee expressed or implied", etc., etc., etc...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts