Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A few weeks back I picked up my Smith and Wesson M&P 15-22 Sport rifle. Finally have all my accessories delivered and installed. Haven't had time to get to a range yet, mostly because I'm waiting on two more guns to arrive and mods for a shotgun.

The other two I'm waiting for are an 7.62x39 upper and complete lower from Bear Creek Arsenal and a SAR USA SAR9 pistol. The shotgun I'm modifying is a Norinco m37 (Ithica M37 copy) I've had for at least 15 years.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
I like mine. Same exact everything as my regular AR's (controls, trigger, field strip, etc.), aside from being MUCH lighter in weight and having a shorter draw stroke on the charging handle. Goes bang reliably, and for a semi-auto, mine actually hasn't been picky at all. I mean, I haven't tried running garbage ammo like Remington Thunderbolt through it, because I don't hate my guns, but it does gobble up Federal and Winchester bulk as well as CCI Mini-Mags and Aguila stuff equally well without hiccups.

I gotta ask, are the light and slight and optics and such on yours for the sake of training in lieu of a regular AR? Like, as a cheaper-ammo practice option? Or are you legitimately using yours as a defensive rifle? I generally recommend avoiding rimfire calibers for "serious" use because of the inherent unreliability of the ammo's primers, in addition to it having so-so terminal ballistics (sure, out of a rifle-length barrel, a solid 40-grain will penetrate to 12" ... but only just barely ... and it's still a pretty tiny hole). But at least you have 25 of those rounds on tap and, as long as you're using good ammo and your gun's cycling it reliably, you can spit all 25 of those out in pretty short order, so you certainly could do a lot worse...

·
Registered
671 Posts
Plus you can have 5, 6, 7 thousand rounds laying around your house without mortgaging your house.

Reactions: kje54

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I like mine. Same exact everything as my regular AR's (controls, trigger, field strip, etc.), aside from being MUCH lighter in weight and having a shorter draw stroke on the charging handle. Goes bang reliably, and for a semi-auto, mine actually hasn't been picky at all. I mean, I haven't tried running garbage ammo like Remington Thunderbolt through it, because I don't hate my guns, but it does gobble up Federal and Winchester bulk as well as CCI Mini-Mags and Aguila stuff equally well without hiccups.

I gotta ask, are the light and slight and optics and such on yours for the sake of training in lieu of a regular AR? Like, as a cheaper-ammo practice option? Or are you legitimately using yours as a defensive rifle? I generally recommend avoiding rimfire calibers for "serious" use because of the inherent unreliability of the ammo's primers, in addition to it having so-so terminal ballistics (sure, out of a rifle-length barrel, a solid 40-grain will penetrate to 12" ... but only just barely ... and it's still a pretty tiny hole). But at least you have 25 of those rounds on tap and, as long as you're using good ammo and your gun's cycling it reliably, you can spit all 25 of those out in pretty short order, so you certainly could do a lot worse...
It's a target plinker, the optics help this old man hit the target. The light is just a "let's see how this looks", scary black gun add on, it will be going on my 7.62x39 AR when I finally receive it. As for my home defense it's a Kel-Tec KS7 12 gauge.

·
Registered
23 Posts

Good to hear. It's been on my short list for a long time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts