Lubrication Tests - Militec-1 added 7-6-05

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by rcmodel, Jun 28, 2005.

1. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    Got bored because it has rained all day, so I decided to do some testing of oils & greases I had on hand. While not scientific, it did show some surprising results, to me at least.

Method:
    >1/4" aluminum rod chucked in lathe and spun at 1,500 RPM.
    >1/4" x 1" steel bar on a pivit riding on rod, on edge.
    >4 pound NRA trigger weight set hanging on end of steel bar, 12" from aluminum rod. (4 ft/pd pressure on rod?)
    >Spun in lathe until galding on aluminum rod caused noticable chatter.
    >New section of rod used for each test.
    > Lubed as follows:

Remington DriLube Spray= 2.37 sec.
    Militec-1 oil applied 3x, heated, and wiped off each time = 3.48 sec. **
    Dry, run with no lube = 3.97 sec.
    Militec-1 oil applied wet and left wet, over 3x treated surface = 5.73 sec. **
    Red Lithium automotive grease = 8.68 sec. *
    Pro-Gold gun grease = 10.37 sec.
    Militec-1 grease applied over 3x treated surface = 10.52 sec. ***
    GI issue CLP = 12.62 sec.
    RCBS case sizing lube (STP?) = 13.20 sec.
    30w motor oil = 15.93 sec.
    Lubriplate (M1 Garand) grease = 25.12 sec.
    Vasaline = 1 min. 31.38 sec.
    Outers Gunslick Graphite grease = 2 min. 52.93 sec.
    RemOil w/Teflon gun oil/bottle = 3 min 6.99 sec.

I'm not sure what all this means, but there it is!

;D
    rcmodel

PS> I'm staying with Outers Gunslick Graphite grease because it performed almost as well as RemOil, and much better then anything else I tested. But being a grease, it won't run off, and will stay where I put it.
    rcmodel

* Edited to add Lithium grease on 6-29-05

** Edited 7-6-05 to add Militec-1 oil. (Militec-1 Oil applied & heated with heat gun, wiped, applied again and heated, wiped, applied again, heated, and wiped.

*** Edited 7-6-05 to add Militec-1 grease applied over Militec-1 oil treated surface with three coatings.

2. charles1198

charles1198 New Member

Sep 6, 2004
    Re: Lubrication Tests

Hmm. So Rem Oil won? Surprising. I use Militec oil and grease. It'd be interesting to see how they stack up.

Thanks for the info, rcmodel!

3. Phila_PD

Phila_PD Guest

RC,

You have to get out more! ;D

I too would like to see how the Mil-Tech would stand up.

4. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas

So would I, but I don't have any!
    I may have to ask for a free sample one of these days when I get a roundtuit! :)

Now, as to the RemOil, you could have knocked me over with a feather when it just kept on going, and going, and going!!!

I had expected the Gunslick grease to show up well, as that has worked the best on my P3AT of anything I have tried.

I thought of RemOil as just another 3in1 thin type stuff and had never actually used it much for anything. I thought at first the reason it worked so well was because it was so thin and keep running into the friction point, but the 30W motor oil and the CLP did pretty much the same thing, and they didn't work worth a darn.

I guess I will have to try RemOil on the P3AT and see how it runs.

;D
    rcmodel

5. mojo-62

mojo-62 New Member

May 29, 2005

Vely intelesting!!! ??? I have used rem oil with teflon for quite awhile but after reading the post here I was on the hunt for some of the greases recomended . HMMMM may have to reconsider

6. procomps

procomps New Member

Jun 22, 2005
    Lubrication Tests -- another suggestion

I have used RemOil almost exclusively since the first time I tried it because of the "feel" it left between two moving parts. But here's another suggestion I am trying myself and would like to see how it measures up on rcmodel's test rig.

I am a mechanical engineer, and in one of my first jobs I became familiar with a lubricant I had not heard of before and little about since -- molybdenum disulfide, commercially available today as Hoppe's Moly in spray cans.

When I first saw moly in action was at a stainless steel tubing extrusion plant. It was applied wet on all the spindles and dies, and dried at room temp in about 5 minutes. What was so astounding about this stuff is the pressure and heat generated when a 6" dia., 8 ft. long rotationally cast billet with a lenghtwise hole about 1" dia. was pulled into a seamless 1" 80-guage tube 225-275 ft. long. To beat it all, one moly application lasted for a full day's production of about 25 finished tubes!

An associate suggested that a gun coun be "blued" with that stuff and last forever. So when I recently found the Hoppe's product, I tried just spraying it lightly into another gun and started firing. DON'T DO IT THAT WAY!!! After reading some other posts here on the KTOG site re lubrication, and after doing a light F&B on my P-3AT, I found that I could control the liquid much better by spraying some into the lid of the can and using a very small modeler's paintbrush to put the lube only where I wanted it, which was all the places suggested by tekwerks lubrication.

The secret is to polish the thoroughly dry moly surface with a clean, soft cloth. Then, using no oil of any kind, I reassembled the pistol and was amazed at how smooth everything cycled by hand--much smoother than any other gun I had that had been lubed more conventionally.

I plan to take my 3AT to the range to put at least 100 rounds through. I'll let you all know how it goes. In the meantime, though, perhaps rcmodel could try this lubricant and application method. I found the Hoppe's Moly at a local gun shop.

7. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas

I'm not so sure the Outers Gunslick grease I tested isn't moly-grease. I said graphite, but now that you mentioned moly, I don't know for sure. I do know it is nasty black stuff that you can't wash off your hands! :eek:

We used molybdenum disulfide grease on our Plastic Injection Mold dies in my former pre-retirement life. As you say, it holds up under heat & pressure where nothing else will work as well.

I'm not sure I want to buy any to test, as it appears I already have more oils & greases on hand then I will live long enough to ever use up!

Please be sure and report back on how the moly works out for you on your P3AT. Sounds like it might be a good deal!

;D
    rcmodel

8. Re: Lubrication Tests

AWWWW C'MON "RCMODEL"...

Go ahead and spend a few $$$ (for a tube of MOLY grease from WalMart)
    so you can give it a "whirl" (in your new/current torture "testing" device !

I'd love to see how the AUTOMOTIVE grade of that stuff holds up ! :)

BTW: Outers Gunslick Graphite Lube (#92014 on page 5 of THIS website):

http://www.le.atk.com/pdf/Outers2003.pdf ... is a graphite based lubricant !

9. carolinaman

carolinaman New Member

May 2, 2005

Hello rcmodel,

I too would love to see how militec functions in your test.

Find the email link on the following website and request a free sample. http://www.militec.com

Its supposed to rain some more this week and we would all love to know. ;D

Best,

Chris

10. kaltectom

kaltectom New Member

Jun 4, 2005

Has anyone tested Lithium grease? I just happen to have some and may want to lub with it in the areas that you all are recommending.

11. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas

Per your request, I tried Red Lithium automotive grease this morning, and added it to my original test results post.

It didn't fair too well!

;D
    rcmodel

12. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas

My very own Militec-1 sample is in the mail, according to their email this morning.

Will post test results as soon as it gets here.

;D
    rcmodel

13. Cavediver

Cavediver New Member

Apr 11, 2007

I do alot of cycling and have some grease that seems to work pretty well on the rails. I put another 100 rds through the gun Tuesday night with no problems. I will shoot another 200 or so this weekend and will post my results.

14. oscarswanson

oscarswanson New Member

May 4, 2005
    minnesota

Thanks rcmodel,
    Great info. I'm glad to see the Rem Oil I'm using is good stuff. I'm also using Tera Gun Grease but am cosidering another because of the battering the slide is giving the aluminum tips of the rails. I just installed some new springs to try 1st.
    Thanks again.
    Oscar

15. procomps

procomps New Member

Jun 22, 2005
    Lubrication Tests - Hoppe's Moly

Finally made it to the range this a.m. with my DRY Moly-lubed 3AT and two boxes of ammo. Recall that I used ONLY the Hoppe's Moly, applied wet, let dry, and polished with a soft cloth.

The first 50 rounds were Blazer FMJ -- no failures of any kind. Noticed ramp was a bit dirty, but did not clean. Started with WWB FMJ flat nose and the bullets were sticking on the dirty ramp about 50% of the time. A slight nudge on the back of the slide ALWAYS allowed the round to chamber, and I had no other type of failures through the rest of the box.

So, after 100 rounds the pistol seemed to have no evident wear except for a dirty ramp. When I got home and stripped the gun for inspection, there were NO signs of lube failure anywhere that I applied the Moly. The rails were still slick as glass, and so was everything else, discounting the dirt, of course. The best part -- everything was still DRY, which I think is important in a pocket gun.

My plan for several hundred more rounds is to stay exclusively with the Moly, except I will clean at least the ramp after every 50 rounds. I want to try the WWB again with a clean ramp, as it is cheap in this area. Although, for practice ammo, my gun likes the Blazers, which are only slightly more expensive. I also want to try several more carry loads as well. Right now I am running Hornady XTP and Federal HydoShocks with no problems.

16. pocketgun

pocketgun New Member

May 4, 2005

Interesting report, procomps. I have often thought a dry lube should be a design spec for any pocket pistol. Yours is the first report I have heard of anyone even trying a dry lube.

Clean it every 50 rounds anyway. Even 25 rounds is way more than you would ever shoot in a self defense situation.

17. flybob

flybob New Member

Sep 9, 2004

Procomps- How about trying some Hoppes moly film on the feed ramp and maybe even in the chamber.
    I too noticed hangups on a dirty ramp even though
    it's highly polished.
    Today, I had a failure to extract from a dirty chamber.

18. florida14

florida14 New Member

Jul 2, 2005
    rcmodel, thanks for your work & time on that project. I found the results very interesting, especially since you've added the Militec-1.

19. Bill_.45

Bill_.45 Guest

Appears the lowly CLP out preformed the oil as well as the grease of Militec-1. Who would have thought.

I have a can of lubriplate I use on the bearings of a water pump and a tube of the Gunslick Graphite grease. Guess I'll try them both.

20. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    I suppose Militec-1 might have it's place in desert warfare because it supposedly can be run dry. Consequently, it won't pick up sand and dust to act as grinding compound! On the otherhand, it didn't perform as well treated & heated three times and wiped dry, then no lube at all!

Perhaps dryed moly, or powdered graphite might have done better in desert testing by our troops. But I doubt either one were even tried because they don't have any on-line advertising, or a slick website you can access from Iraq on your GI issue lap-top.  :eek:

The one thing I noticed most however, was when Militec-1 failed, it failed instantly, with more severe galding present on the aluminum rod then most any other lube I tested. In fact, there was damage done before I could turn the lathe on and off and let it spin down on both dry and wet oil tests.

As I said when I started, I don't know what this all means. Nor do I know exactly how it relates to firearms lubrication.

But I do know I'm sticking with Outers GunSlick Graphite grease for lube, and RIG for rust protection, on my P3AT!

;D
    rcmodel