Lubrication of Firing Pin

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by raymac1215, May 2, 2010.

1. raymac1215

raymac1215 New Member

Dec 31, 2008
    I have seen the recommendations on lubrication of the P3AT, but I have never seen anything about lubricating the firing pin. Does anybody know if a drop of oil should be placed down the pin hole or should it be left alone? Hope this isn't a stupid question to the experts. Thanks

2. haugrdr

haugrdr Super Moderator Staff Member Supporter

Jan 4, 2008
    Daytona Beach
    Most around KTOG say to keep the FP dry, less chance of debris clogging the channel and making the FP stick.

3. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    the best thing you could do for the firing pin is to give it a good cleaning

4. oldgranpa

oldgranpa New Member

Sep 23, 2004
    agreed that oiling the firing pin should be avoided. That and soot from firing will/may make it stiky and possible light strikes could occur.
    og

5. raymac1215

raymac1215 New Member

Dec 31, 2008
    Thanks for the good advise. I believe to clean the pin requires some higher level of expertise ? I am not having any problems jusy trying to do the right thing to keep her reliable. Thanks!

6. rcmodel

rcmodel New Member

Feb 6, 2005
    Eastern Kansas
    Remington Dry Lube Spray.

Slick, Non-oily, Prevents rust, Doesn't contaminate primers, and Doesn't attract or hold dirt.

rc

7. joje

joje New Member

Nov 1, 2007
    my strikes are borderline light and awhile back i was looking for a tutorial on how to disassemble the slide to clean t he firing pin channel. surprisingly i came up with nothing applicable to a 2nd gen p3at, so i ended up not doing it. anyone knows where to find instructions on this matter?

8. JFB

JFB New Member

Jul 25, 2005
    here is an post that is also listed in the FAQ/VIP thread. sorry, no vid

9. oldgranpa

oldgranpa New Member

Sep 23, 2004
    what you may have to do is try this...
    clamp the slide someway in a vise (use wood strips to avoid damage)
    clamp it vertical so the breach is up with the firing pin hole up
    use a spray can of bore solvent (under pressure)
    apply bore solvent to the hole using the plastic tube on the spray can
    apply the spray until you note solvent coming out the bottom end of the firing pin
    use paper towels to soak up the solvent residue
    then, using an air blower pressure can with the plastic tube
    apply the tube to the firing pin hole and blow until no more solvent comes out

I had to try this on another pistol that was giving light strikes and it cured the problem.

og

10. joje

joje New Member

Nov 1, 2007
    thanks! will give it a shot tonight!

11. joje

joje New Member

Nov 1, 2007
    btw... rather than abusing my low-wattage weller, is there any reason why preheating the screw a for a few seconds with a torch-style cigar lighter wouldnt do the trick?

12. joje

joje New Member

Nov 1, 2007
    great instructions! i first tried ogs advice but strike still seemed light so proceeded to torch the screw and take all apart. now my firing pin channel is cleaner than it ever was. unfortunately the primer dents are still not quite what i want them to be but at least i learned how to disassemble the slide :)

13. Agent-Adam

Agent-Adam New Member

May 19, 2010
    Wish i could find that stuff locally still. Walmart quit carrying that and cold blueing.

14. Dugger

Dugger New Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Go to any auto parts store and pickup a spray can of silicone dry spray, I use the STP brand and it works well.
    Also keeps the crude from sticking to it, have been using it for a number of years. Got started using the stuff up north where it gets real cold, Oil would get thick and would not set off primers. Use it on the 30-06 firing pin and at 70 below never had a problem except for my feet gettin cold.

15. bergners

bergners New Member

Apr 30, 2009
    Did you spray it on your feet too? :p

SteveB

16. Dugger

Dugger New Member

Jun 9, 2009
    Steve B
    ended up buying those electric socks worked great ;D

17. Agent-Adam

Agent-Adam New Member

May 19, 2010
    saw some dry spray graphite lube at home depo. works good on delicate lock mechanisms.