Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen various products over the years that were designed to safely hold a firearm next to a mattress and in arms reach. These are made for handguns and long guns both. One recent long gun version is the Back Up. http://www.the-backup.com/ However, if your like me---a cheapskate---$40.00 seems a bit high.

I was raised by my dad to inventive with what one needs out of what one has in order to meet a need. My need was a safe method of keeping my new Stoeger Condor Outback within arms reach. A gun that is propped up WILL fall over at some point. The risk of a negligent discharge is just too high.

Wanting to use something like the Back UP, I scoured the Internet looking for devices that did the same but for less money. My searching was going nowhere until I came across a gun forum that gave me the information I needed. Sadly, I can't provide the website; I forgot to right it down. :(

Nonetheless, here is what I found. If you take two sportcoat hangers and place them concave side down, the hooks are at the right angle and the right distance from the mattress to hold a shotgun perfectly at your fingertips. If your gun has wood furniture, the metal hooks can be padded to your liking with shrink tubing or some other material of your choosing to prevent marring.

It works perfectly.

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
AWESOME idea! Excellent find! This shotgun rack would also go nicely with a bedside pistol holster, too, so you could have a gun on either side of the bed:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raEpj4Ju_To[/ame]

Having both might be considered overkill, unless you're sharing a bed with someone and one of you can only adequately handle a pistol while the other can manage a shotgun. Also gives the option of hunkering down while on the phone with 9-1-1 (with a shotgun) or leaving the room to investigate what you heard going bump in the night (with a pistol and flashlight).

I'm going to have to give this coathanger trick a try tonight and see if it'll securely hang "Zed" off the other side of my bed ... that is, of course, assuming I have two hangers like this in my closet. (I think most of mine are those cheap crappy plastic hangers...)

·
Registered
6,675 Posts
Well, that was easy. :)

Just tried it out, and it does, in fact, hold things nice and securely. Only downside for me, though, is that with my particular HD shotgun - a bolt-action JC Higgins with a slip-on 5-shell sleeve - the whole package is too thick and large to effectively fit under the edge of my bed's comforter. If I had a slimmer, more compact shotgun setup like the one shown above and/or a slightly bigger comforter that draped farther over the sides of the bed, though, it would be a pretty ideal setup. Guess now I have another reason to save up for a new comforter ... and another shotgun. :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
What a fantastic idea. I put some shrink tube over the hanger ends for a little more traction and to help protect the furniture on my shotgun. Awesome idea, thanks ! ! !

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When I read the post on that other gun forum, the first thing to enter my mind was, "Now why didn't I think of that?!?!" :D

This trick works great and best of all, if you don't have any sportcoat/suit hangers, they usually run $1.00 a piece at Walmart.:eek:

I'm planning to put some shrink tubing on my hangers as soon as I can get to Walmart and buy some more of it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
awesome idea. i took a short section of dowel rod that was just smaller in diameter that the bore of my pistol. then drilled a hole in a block of wood and glued in the dowel. screwed the wood to the bed frame and then you just slip the muzzle down on the dowel. pulls off super easy.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Great simple ideas. Why do we seem to overthink our projects?

Life is short, be happy
Jack

·
Registered
236 Posts
I used about 3' of 10 gauge romex formed in a loop to clip a cheap nylon holster to the side of the bed.

·
Registered
4,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Necessity is the mother of invention. That sounds like a great idea. I had thought about doing something like that before I made the decision to go with a shotgun at the ready and connected to my bed. My XDm still resides on my nightstand while I sleep. That way I have two options at the ready. If the wedge I have behind my door stops the baddy, I will go with the shotty first. However, if the wedge fails, my XDm will be the weapon of choice. Either way the door is in the direct line of fire.

Thanks for sharing your DIY solution. The free exchange of ideas is one of the many things that makes KTOG the best gun forum on the web.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts