Community for Kel-Tec Shooters banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used one cheap at my local gun shop recently. I liked how small it was and had the fire power of 9mm instead of a 380 or smaller. After I picked it up I read some bad press on its reliability. I have noticed some of them in this group to. So by the time I could get out to the range I was braced for disappointment.

1st day on the range I shot 200 rounds. 100 Federal and 100 Winchester. To my pleasure, it fired flawlessly every time! Since I read in one review that they do not work well when dirty, I decided to not clean it...which goes against every fiber of my being! But it was in the name of science (or just my curiosity). I wanted to see what would happen.

A few days later, I shot 200 more rounds. 100 Federal and 100 reloads with Bullseye powder and SNS cast lead bullets. Again, 200 rounds fired flawlessly. I was a happy boy, but still curious. So, though it about killed me, I did not clean it. Especially with lead bullets...

OK, long story short, I shot 1,000 rounds through it to date without cleaning. Every single round fired perfectly. And yes, I gave it a thorough cleaning after that because I was about to get OCD hives from having such a dirty weapon. And yes, the next 100 through the clean weapon had the same perfect result...and I cleaned it immediately afterward :)

1,100 rounds no issue. Maybe I am lucky? But I would trust this weapon if needed for defense.

Oh, and those who say it is not accurate, I beg to differ. I had no problem hitting the target. Well after I got used to the long (but relatively light) trigger pull. It took about 50 rounds to get a feel for it, then consistent there after.

So, I am happy to say my experience has been very positive. I am happy to have it as part of my collection!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Ditto. I am happy to tell you you're experience is the norm for this weapon. ( minus the not cleaning hopefully :D ) glad to find another happy owner and welcome to KTOG.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I like you was a little nervous because of some of the reviews I've seen. I bought mine new and the fact that I'm left handed and some alternatives I was considering had right hand only manual safeties had more to do with my choice of the PF-9 than about anything else. Well... I am also pleased after shooting mine. I didn't have near the dedication you did, but so far I've put 185 rounds through mine. I've had 4 fail to feeds - all with Magtech ammo. The bulk Federal FMJ and inexpensive Remington JHP I've shot have all fed, fired, and ejected perfectly. The other 4 I'll chock up to either not being broken in yet (supposedly +200 rounds), or the ammo. Think I'm gonna love mine too.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Welcome.
Today we went to the range for testing of rifles but of course had to shoot the pf9. 200 rounds, 1 FTE near the end of the session. My pf9 feels like greased glass when you rack the slide. Probably the smoothest feeling gun I have besides the 1911 but it didn't take near the work the 1911 did to get it there. Gun of course is cerakoted and that makes a big difference but still, it's just a fantastic little pocket gun. If it's ever needed I know it will work and some bad guy will have a very bad day.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Glad to hear you are happy with your PF-9. I agree the pistol is very accurate for such a lightweight 9 mm. If you can hold her steady she will hit the target at 50+ feet and make a nice group. I was surprised.

I think I only have a few boxes of ammo through my PF-9 but it runs well and is easy to clean. Hides in the pocket well too. Nice gun for the price.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
good to hear that your pf9 works so well nice to know how long it went without cleaning , I think I will keep cleaning after each shoot though

·
Registered
25 Posts
Glad to hear yoy like it. I had to send mine back once, but after I found that it likes Fed champion ( wal mart) it works great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts