Love My P3AT But...

Discussion in 'P-3AT' started by Curt32, Aug 26, 2007.

1. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Hi guys have a P3AT and I'm now carrying it as my primary CCW gun. I've only run a couple hundred rounds through it but it's been absolutely flawless! I do have some concerns though I been reading up on the PF-9 cuz I'm really thinking about something with a little more punch, but I've been reading about some issues with the gun specically the magazine follower and the mag catch release so I was just wondering if there were any issues like this with the P3AT that I should be aware of. Going to address the PF-9 issues to kel-Tec to see if a fix is in the works so that it wouldn't be necessary to purchase aftermarket parts for a new gun. Thanks

Tom j

2. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    All KT pistols have a similar mag catch.  If you slam your P3AT catches in against the metal cut out in the mag tube, it can eventually wear your mag catch.  You can keep a spare on hand, get a metal catch or just depress the mag catch when you insert mags to prevent wear.  Regarding the followers, some P3AT mag followers can wear after extended use.  Some tend to get wacked on the barrel or frame a bit during recoil.  If you shoot a lot, you might eventually need to replace some.  About 2 years back, I noticed that some of my P3AT mag followers were starting to get some dents.  I called and had some free ones sent out.  I still have not needed to replace them.  Typically, they do not take the beating that we see with some PF9s.  

3. Curt32

Curt32 New Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Say thanks! that's really good to know. Guess I won't have to worry then, say do you think Kel-Tec will do anything about the problems I mentioned with the PF-9 just don't think I should have to purchase aftermarket parts for a new gun. I'm particularly concerned about the followers. And thanks for the tip about inserting the magazine I'll always do that.

Tom j

4. olemissmike

olemissmike Member

Jan 29, 2007
    I believe that the PF-9 is good to go now. Don't over react to these message boards thinking that the PF-9 is plagued by problems. It isn't. Your odds of getting a perfectly functioning firearm is very high and if something is wrong, Kel Tec will fix it.

By the way, if you still are concerned, there is the P11 and it is a solid performer with a long track record.

BTW, I love my P3AT too!!

5. TxCajun

TxCajun Administrator Staff Member Supporter

Sep 7, 2004
    Texas
    I honestly don't know but I really don't see a lot of "problems" in PF9s lately. Regarding the followers, I would assume that would require a redesign of the follower or a change to a different material.  I'm not sure it wouldn't be more cost effective for them to simply replace any that need replacing, at least for a while.  Regarding you not thinking you should have to purchase after marker parts...  you don't.  The gun has a life time warranty and they will send you free replacements for any parts that wear.  However, many people spend tons of money customizing their guns.  I guess that is a personal choice.

6. nicneufeld

nicneufeld New Member

Mar 9, 2006
    Well, my main problem is I don't have enough time and money to feed my PF-9! It's hungry! Needs three square magazines of 9mm per day! :D